Thread: Horse Hunts

Question Horse Hunts

Having the opportunity to hunt from Horse back for Moose or Sheep is there any area that you would consider first. I remember reading about a guy who went in for moose on the Peninsula a few years ago that got a hugh trophy moose. Having only hunting for Elk in Montana on horse back I have not given it much thought in Alaska.

Thanks for any info.

We don't hunt horses in Alaska
    Some people hunt from horses up here but I don't know any personaly.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Moose hunting from horses is doable - just do research for good areas like you would for any other hunt. It'd be best to go with someone that knows the trails in the area you choose.

Sheep hunting, IMO, is a different proposition, as you will be hunting in areas pretty much inaccessible to horses. It would work as a means to get a more comfortable base camp set up, but unless you have someone to stay in base to feed and water them, it's not workable and leaves them vulnerable to bears and/or wolves.

Do you have horses?

If memory serves, there have been mentions in here of guides that use horses for sheep hunting in the Alaska Range east of Healy and the Wrangels.

OK first thanks for catching me on "horse hunts" I should have stated hunting from horses or using them to access hunting areas...got me on that one and I appreciate the casual banter.

I have a friend who has horses and he is looking to use them this year for a Moose hunt, I think sheep would be better if you can get them into a the right location. Such as use them to pack back in a long ways set up base camp and attempt to branch out from there in Sheep terrain, I realize that sheep terrain and using horses don't go together but they can get you to the start of it and do for many guides or their clients in Alaska. I was orginally thinking perhaps some of the closed (to ORVs) trails off the tok cut accross road??? Perhaps there are other areas.

There is another no motorized vehicle area for moose off of the denali hwy on the glen side that might be productive for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I remember reading about a guy who went in for moose on the Peninsula a few years ago that got a hugh trophy moose.
    The drawing permit hunts for moose on the Kenai Peninsula north of Tustemena Lake are best accessed with horses. Perhaps that is the area you speak of.

I moved up from MT several years ago. I brought my horses with. Hunting for moose is far different than elk. Found a good area for moose using our horses near Yanert glacier. The area is no ORV and there isn't too much tundra. Horse sink in tundra badly. We found that riding up a sidehill on horseback then sitting and glassing the trees/brush in the bottoms worked well. Try getting a sheep permit too. You'll be surprised what is standing above you looking down while you glass (sad lesson learned) The key we've found is staying up out of the moist ground. It's ****ed dangerous for your horse. I hope that points you in a direction