Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place for Reds!!

Default Best place for Reds!!

What is the best place to fish and fill the freezer with (limits of) reds?? Is it best to use a guide for the reds, i hear they are very difficult to catch.

probably fly into anchorage and rent rv...not sure what to do next. planning on summer 09..08 already booked!

thanks

are the limits in southcentral typically more generous that other parts of the state?

Not sure on the limits as I don't fish them, but if you want a bunch hit up the Russian river/ Kenai confluence as millions of reds run the river every year. Be forewarned it is a combat zone and certain etiquite is observed.
    If you do a search and use Russian river or combat fishing you will find tons of info.

If you want the absolute best red fishing, hit the Iliamna area around July 10-15. The Kenai/Russian is a good option and more accessible, but for the price of a couple of days of the RV rental you could fly over to Iliamna and fish the Newhalen River for reds. Absolutely incredible volume of fish, fewer people, and just an overall more enjoyable experience. I do love the Russian, though. Here are pics of each river. First two are the Russian in the late season (early August), third and forth are the Newhalen. (Note: The Russian is usually VERY crowded, particularly at the confluence of the Russian and Kenai. I always find less crowded conditions, though, because I'm willing to hike upstream 2-3 miles. It's worth the walk.)

At times they can be har dto catch. Also what river you are on can make it harder. Russian river is a place you should check out. Go early in the morning and you will avoid the crowds. After 8am it will get crowded. Once the conflunce opens up everyone heads there. Stay inside the russian. Less people there and you have just as good of a chance to land a fat red. Bring good glasses to see into the water that helps out allot. Allot of time I will spot the fish. Look for deep holes. the reds will tend to stay there until fored to move.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

To answer part of your question......no, don't let a guide talk you into hiring them for red fishing. If you're doing a fly in that's different, but if you're fishing the road system in south central Alaska you don't need a guide. Watch what others are doing and if you're doing it wrong you'll have plenty of people telling you what to do or not to do. Good luck.

This may sound funny but............if you have never fished reds go to the russian for a day. Like tcman said watch people...........then ask questions. As long as they are polite and don't try to steal my spot of stand in my shadow I get a kick out of tourists asking questions. There a lot of very subtle things going on while red fishing. The newbie would see it and say

"ok a fly, a weight about 24 inches above the fly, you drift it and do it again."

While in reality the successful red fisher is changing wts, changing leader lenght, knows that 11 o'clock on the swing is where you catch the fish, what color is hot, all sorts of stuff. If asked I will help someone out. Heck I even give away gear if they don't have the right stuff. (and had plenty of gear given to me when the river steals all my wts and hooks! )

You're talking about "filling your freezer", please remember that just because the daily bag limit is 3, you must observe that the possesion limit is also 3 in the Russian River. A lot of new guys often make the mistake of assuming just because it's a new day, that they can go out and take another daily limit without properly preserving the previous 3. Putting your daily of 3 reds in a cooler with ice does not count so you might wanna call Gwin's Lodge down the road and see what they charge for freezing fish and storing your catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    This may sound funny but............if you have never fished reds go to the russian for a day. Like tcman said watch people...........then ask questions. As long as they are polite and don't try to steal my spot of stand in my shadow I get a kick out of tourists asking questions. There a lot of very subtle things going on while red fishing. The newbie would see it and say

"ok a fly, a weight about 24 inches above the fly, you drift it and do it again."

While in reality the successful red fisher is changing wts, changing leader lenght, knows that 11 o'clock on the swing is where you catch the fish, what color is hot, all sorts of stuff. If asked I will help someone out. Heck I even give away gear if they don't have the right stuff. (and had plenty of gear given to me when the river steals all my wts and hooks! )
    Right on with this post. I love to see the newbies be patient and ask questions. I know I usually need a break and slide them in and help them out and before you know it they catch fish, you make a new friend and usually have a cold beverage together and fish the rest of the day
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I took a co-worker fishing the russian one time he never had caught reds before and so I took him.

I tied up a bunch of flies that were a piece of glow bug yarn on coho fly hooks on the drive down.

When we got there I said just cast a little upstream and keep most of the slack out of the line and let it drift down.

I also told him that while fishing just watch someone who is catching them and you should figure it out in no time.

Within a couple casts we had the right amount of weight on.

He had his limit in a couple hours. I caught one and lost three on my fly rod.

We left Anchorage after work at 3:30pm and were back by midnight.

We fished right where the kenai makes a bend next to the highway so we were down a little ways from the russian. This is typically less crowded than closer to the russian.

I have only fished there a couple times as I dont like crowds.

---------------------------

I cut my teeth on red fishing at the moose river when the great alaska fish camp had a campground at the mouth. It was always way less crowded that the public campground on the other side of the moose.

I have had the idea of floating a raft to the great alaska fish camp side and fishing in my waders without getting on shore. This would be legal and uncrowded. It is private property and there is no fishing from boats so you would have to get out of the boat but stay below high water mark.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I would wholeheartedly reccommend the book found at http://www.alaskaauthor.com/ The author is a Regular poster on this site and has excellent advice. This book will give you a great reference for a trip like the one you are planning.

Default Good Advice

Seems all posts have some good advice that I will incorporate on MY trip. Love Alaskachuck's idea about splitting some time in his spot...especially the cold beverage part! Right on.

The Sapper

"Every day above ground is a good day"

Talking The best place to find reds

...in my freezer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wndshr View Post
    What is the best place to fish and fill the freezer with (limits of) reds?? Is it best to use a guide for the reds, i hear they are very difficult to catch.

probably fly into anchorage and rent rv...not sure what to do next. planning on summer 09..08 already booked!

thanks

are the limits in southcentral typically more generous that other parts of the state?
    The best place for Reds is the Kenai River and the Russian River, plenty of fish if you plan out your trip right and get there at the right time. RV is my favorite way to travel. Hit Bird crrek on the way down and warm up with a few Pinks, then head down to Sportmans landing. You can fish on either side of the Kenai River and hit the Russian River confuence. Timing is everything so do some research and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I would wholeheartedly reccommend the book found at http://www.alaskaauthor.com/ The author is a Regular poster on this site and has excellent advice. This book will give you a great reference for a trip like the one you are planning.

Thank you everyone for all your insights! I ordered the book a few days ago thanks to all your suggestions!

What is the best place to fish and fill the freezer with (limits of) reds??
    You can dipnet a freezer full for yourself at Chitna.

They're still pretty bright without mushrooms and potatoes growing out of their backs.
    Now what ?

Default My first time for reds...

It was a disaster! I went on a suicide run with a jet jock from the air base in Anchorage to the Russian/Kenai confluence and knew zip.

My rental waders leaked, my telescopic buggy-whip pole was too flimsy, and the old mono kinked on a cheap Zebco.

I cast out way too far and got chewed so many times by the regulars that I shrunk smaller than a tadpole.

When I went down in the water while trying to grab a red that was swimming between my legs it turned out to be a freshly filleted carcass with only the head, tail, and rib-cage!

I was soaked and cold and I caught nothing.

I loved every moment of it!

That was June of 1988.

Now I flick 'em off like the peas in a pod that they truely are...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    You can dipnet a freezer full for yourself at Chitna.

They're still pretty bright without mushrooms and potatoes growing out of their backs.
    No, he can't. Since he's flying into Anchorage, I'm assuming that he's a non-resident. Dipnet fisheries are resident-only.

are the limits for reds more second run or first run??

Quote Originally Posted by Wndshr View Post
    are the limits for reds more second run or first run??
    The limit always starts out as 3 per person. If the 2nd run is strong and exceeds escapement goals, sometimes they'll raise the limit in the Kenai to 6/person. The limit is very rarely raised in the Russian itself, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    No, he can't. Since he's flying into Anchorage, I'm assuming that he's a non-resident. Dipnet fisheries are resident-only.
    Sorry. I didn't see where he was located and well...................I always have to fly into Anchorage to get anywhere and I'm a resident.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast