Thread: Need Input on Holster for 500 Smith w/4" Barrel

Default Need Input on Holster for 500 Smith w/4" Barrel

Ive bought two Holters thus far for my 500 S&W 4" Barrel Revolver and have yet to find one I'm happy with.

1st one was a Leather Hip Holster with a thumb Break but I found that when I wear it for more than 4 or 5 hours in the woods, my low back starts gettin pissed at me. I also came to realize that the thumb break doesnt hold too well with such a large frame. The thumb break holster I use with my 454 Alaska is great.

2nd one is basically the same as the first one but instead of a thumb break is has a hammer strap/snap. Problem is same as above.

So I figure some type of shoulder rig is probably best. I found this one on S&W's website. Looks good but I'm not sure how it sits from this picture. Has anyone used this one?

Anyone have a good one they really like?
    I'd appreciate any first hand ideas and thanx in advance.
    Last edited by TYBSP; 02-20-2008 at 02:22. Reason: Screwup in Title

[quote=TYBSP;216353]Ive bought two Holters thus far for my 500 S&W 4" Barrel Revolver and have yet to find one I'm happy with.

1st one was a Leather Hip Holster with a thumb Break but I found that when I wear it for more than 4 or 5 hours in the woods, my low back starts gettin pissed at me. I also came to realize that the thumb break doesnt hold too well with such a large frame. The thumb break holster I use with my 454 Alaska is great.

2nd one is basically the same as the first one but instead of a thumb break is has a hammer strap/snap. Problem is same as above.

So I figure some type of shoulder rig is probably best. I found this one on S&W's website. Looks good but I'm not sure how it sits from this picture. Has anyone used this one

Anyone have a good one they really like?
    I'd appreciate any first hand ideas and thanx in advance.[/quote

I have the same 500 and I bought one the the nylon shoulder holsters and it works great...can't remember the brand but it was the one made in Alaska. It's able to be adjusted some and fits on the side of your chest so it's handy when you are on the wheeler on the trail and turn the corner to be met by something big, brown and fuzzy.....you can show him some love!!

Quote Originally Posted by MC77 View Post

I have the same 500 and I bought one the the nylon shoulder holsters and it works great...can't remember the brand but it was the one made in Alaska. It's able to be adjusted some and fits on the side of your chest so it's handy when you are on the wheeler on the trail and turn the corner to be met by something big, brown and fuzzy.....you can show him some love!!

Where did you find it? Does the 500 fit snug or is it kind of loose?

Try one of Diamond D Leather's Bandolier Holster

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Try one of Diamond D Leather's Bandolier Holster
    Do you have a website by chance? Or are they local?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

David Johnston's shop is in Chugiak. The number is 907-688-0366

Myself, and several others, on this forum have been reccommending him. Look through some of the other threads.

My wife got the Bandoleer version, and I have a hip holster, but I've also, ordered one of the chest holsters, if that's what you call them.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post
    Where did you find it? Does the 500 fit snug or is it kind of loose?

Mine fits just a bit loose so it comes right in and out of the holster. I bought it at the gun store on Tudor road near that Tesoro/Holiday gas stations across from each other...Great Northern I think.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

They will custom make one for your revolver. I have one for my Performance Center 500 with the 7.5" barrel. You can order them with or without the cartridge loops. I had mine made with the cartridge loops.

I have the same gun and that S&W chest holster you have in the picture. I like the why it fits but the retention strap is garbage. If I bend over and the gun goes upside down in the holster it falls out. It is a bunge retention strap and it just doesn't work like it should. My two pennys.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    I have the same gun and that S&W chest holster you have in the picture. I like the why it fits but the retention strap is garbage. If I bend over and the gun goes upside down in the holster it falls out. It is a bunge retention strap and it just doesn't work like it should. My two pennys.

Thanks, thats exactly the type of info I need. I'll rule the Smith holster out. An issue I found trying the thumb break holster I bought is that the 500 is so thick that the thumb break was constantly under a lot of pressure and would come unsnapped constantly.

I've got some emails out to some of the placed mentioned here as well as one other from a guy here in Kenai.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

David Johnston puts a tension screw on his holsters, and you don't even need a strap, if you don't want one, or to use it if you have one.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post
    Thanks, thats exactly the type of info I need. I'll rule the Smith holster out. An issue I found trying the thumb break holster I bought is that the 500 is so thick that the thumb break was constantly under a lot of pressure and would come unsnapped constantly.

I've got some emails out to some of the placed mentioned here as well as one other from a guy here in Kenai.
    Which leather holster was that? I have the Galco D.A.O. and it seems to work fine so far although I need a better gun belt. My daily wear black leather belt is not a gun belt...

Brian

Default belt..

I definitely agree about the gun belt. I ordered one from Desanti and it made a world of difference carrying my model 500. Day and night. I never would have thought it was that big of a deal. I always used regular belts before. But the weight of the S&W 500 dictated otherwise. It stays in place now.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/Order.html

Scroll down the page and you'll find the S&W 500 listed in every variation. I really like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Which leather holster was that? I have the Galco D.A.O. and it seems to work fine so far although I need a better gun belt. My daily wear black leather belt is not a gun belt...

Brian
    This is the Holster I had that keeps coming loose. You can see the stress on the thumb break. I have a thumb break type holster I use with my 454 Alaskan and never have a problem but the 500 is so wide it just pops the snap.

I also use the Galco with the Hammer strap. Best I've found so far. I'm still making up my mind though and everyone has gave me plenty of places to look and compare. Thanx for the Net Sites all.

Default another option

Let me introduce myself, my name is Dave Jansen from Pipestone, MN.
    About 2 years ago, I was looking for a holster to suit my wants. I couldn't find anything that I liked, so I designed my own. Before it was done, I had showed to to some people, and the make me one start rolling in. Anyhow that kinda how I got into making custom holsters and pack scabbards
    I have my basic design, but will alter to suit any need or want. Primarily, I build the bandolier style, but almost anything is possible. And while most my work revolves around the specialty pistols, I'm doing more and more revolvers as well.
    Here's a few pic's of my work.
    ironsight S&W .460 (front)

back

scoped S&W .500 with optional removable partial flap

and just to show most anything is possible, this is a pic of Mark Hampton and a LHP rig I made for his to fit both his XP and Encore for a Bongo hunt in Africa

If you like to see more pic's or interested in discussing a need or want,,,drop me a PM or email

Dave