Thread: 45-70 Bfr

Default 45-70 Bfr

Hey all, I'm buying a Magnum Research BFR in 45-70 w/7.5" Barrel on Friday and am looking for some comments.

1st I will need a Shoulder Rig for it and wonder if anyone has found anything other than the Bandolier rig that Magnum Research has on their Website. Here

Also any comments concerning your opinion after Firing one would be nice. Pet loads, Possible scopes etc....

A bud has one, and before I say anything else, I'll add that he's a serious handgun hunter with lots of other guns in his house and no shortage of big game to his handgun credit.

He's come to the opinion that it's more of a novelty than a suitable gun for hunting or protection. In his experience, when you try to take advantage of the extra case capacity compared to a 454 for example, muzzle blast and muzzle flash are off the charts, while the gains in velocity are miniscule. He shoots it for fun now, but hunts with either a 454 or a 460 and carries his 500 for protection. He says all three are better calibers in revolvers. Remember, he owns and shoots all of them and is quite good with them.

I've shot his a couple of times and have to agree on the flash and noise. I don't recall what velocity he was getting with standard factory loads, but I agree with his assessment that they're probaby the best to shoot all things considered, even if they deliver less than his 454 loads.

You'll certainly enjoy playing with it and can make it work, but if you're looking for the "best" revolver, whatever that means, there are others that will give it a serious run for its money.

Default 45-70 Bfr

I am in full agreement with BrownBear. It is actually not as bad in the recoil department, but that is because a lot of the powder is burning outside the barrel, meaning it is pretty inefficient. The .454 Casull would provide better ballistics out of the same barrel length and the .460 even better.

Get the 500 S&W and then you won't need to upgrade later.

Well...
    I already have (and shoot often) a 454 Cassul and a 500 Smith.

But the thing is I'm a 45-70 freak. I bought one within a couple years of Marlin making them and its kind of a "I'm Hooked" thing. For most the BFR would probably be a novelty, I agree there. But for me I'm truely interested in it. I've got a lot of time shooting big bore revolvers and I've been looking at the BFR for a few years. Well, Sorry to say, its time. hehe

Besides, who here can actually say honestly that every firearm they own is practical?

The .45-70 BFR is an EXCELLENT handgun to get AFTER you get your .454 or .500. As has been said on here, it is inherently inefficient because most of the powder burns after the bullet has left the barrel. I have shot one of these a number of times and I enjoy it, from a novilty standpoint. I will grab my .454 every time over it.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Now you're talkin!

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post
    Well...
    I already have (and shoot often) a 454 Cassul and a 500 Smith.

But the thing is I'm a 45-70 freak. I bought one within a couple years of Marlin making them and its kind of a "I'm Hooked" thing. For most the BFR would probably be a novelty, I agree there. But for me I'm truely interested in it. I've got a lot of time shooting big bore revolvers and I've been looking at the BFR for a few years. Well, Sorry to say, its time. hehe

Besides, who here can actually say honestly that every firearm they own is practical?
    You have certainly got your act together! Those are the perfect reasons for owning the gun. It's fun, and you'll sure turn some heads on a range, even by loading it. Crack off the first round with a slow burning powder, and you'll turn lots of heads. Lots of heads!

Rumor has it that the BFR 45-70 comes with a special cloth that is used to wipe the excess Testosterone off the grips. Evidently there is a safety concern that the build up of Testosterone on the Grips can cause the BFR to slip from your hands during Recoil.

Also there is a rumor of a disclaimer stating that Magnum Research is not responsible for Damages caused to Cronographs being blown apart from the Muzzle Blast.

Dents to the Forhead are also not the responsability of Magnum Research.

I have a BFR in 454 and it seems to be a very well built gun. The quallity I am very impressed with. I would assume the 45-70 would be built to the same standards.

Default 45/70 bfr

I have a 45/70 BFR with a 10.5 inch barrel. I really enjoy shooting it, and it is pretty darned accurate. I put a 2X Nikon scope on it, and so far I can shoot pretty good groups at 50 yards. When it warms up I plan on stretching that distance out to 100 yards and seeing what I can do. Of course this is off of shooting sticks as I am a little shakey off-handed. A 300 grain flat nose bullet seems to shoot the best for me.
    Let us know what you think of it after you shoot it some....
    Andy