Thread: PWS - drift or anchor for halibut?

Default PWS - drift or anchor for halibut?

When I'd go out of Homer or Seward I'd almost always anchor to fish for halibut. Because the places I've fished for halibut out of Whittier have been so deep or had lots of pinnacles (worried about getting anchor hung up), I've always drifted.

So for PWS.....do you drift or anchor?

Same as you - too deep for an anchor, so I drift.

compared to Homer and Seward fish density is really low, so drfiting improves your chances of finding a fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Used to just drift, didn't want to deal with 600 ft of anchor rode. However, started anchoring up and I caught a lot more fish. Seems to take a while for the bait to draw them in, also use chum as well. So drop a anchor and try your luck, you can make cheap WRECK anchors out of all kinds of cheap stuff. Save your store bought anchor for other than fishing chores. I keep 3 anchors on board anyway.

Happy fishing

Steve

I have filled a 5gal use to fill it half way with cement and bent a piece of r-bar and stuck it in there. Works great. I used it allot around rocks. So if I lost it no biggie.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've done it both ways out of PWS. I prefer to drift, because it's a lot less work, and I can cover more ground. If I can't find fish by drifting, thought, I'll toss out an anchor in an area I've caught fish before, and try and call them in.

I have chopped bait into small pcs, soaked them in herring oil, and dumped them overboard in over 300 feet of water (anchored). In less than an hour, I've caught halibut that spit up the chunks of herring I've caught. It does work.

Same in Seward. I rarely need to anchor to catch halibut.

I like to do both. depending on the day.. I like to cover more of an area, but if I find an area that I has fish and the others don't I will anchor.... Also times I will go and anchor on a nice calm sunny day and just soak a salmon head. lay back and read a book...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK