Thread: Mojos in Alaska?

Default Mojos in Alaska?

I have more decoys than the law should allow (No you can't have any.)

So I figured I would by a baby mojo duck decoy. I've seen where they will make geese flare so I'm prepared for that. So I will keep it close to turn off and on.

Any luck with mojos for any of you guys? I figure it can't hurt in a nice spread.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I never owned one before moving here to Alaska. Never really needed one as I hunt mostly open water and don't have issues with lack of movement. Up here in the early season I hunt some little marsh ponds that are covered in lillies and protected from the wind by the mountains. I wanted something to give the birds a target to key on so I bought the super mojo. It was more for the fact that my decoys were hard to see amongst the jungle of lily pads than anything else. I killed birds with and without it though. I wouldn't say it's a cure all for killing ducks, but I do believe it helps. Down south I wouldn't use one b/c the birds have become so wise to them. They flare regularly from them and it makes for an easy way to spot every hunter on the lake!!

Ive found it can work both ways. Around here it seems everyone is using them. Watch the ducks becasue some days it will bring them in and then others days it scares them off.

I like 'em, especially early in the season. Lots of people use them here in Juneau though, so I think the ducks start to wise up to them. I have brought in ducks from across the flats with just a robo duck an no dekes. If the birds start to shy from it, try putting it further away from your spread. If that dosen't work, I take it down for the day. Take it down for sure if you see some geese coming!

I swear by the baby mojos, not only cheap but very effective. I have had great success from using these deks. I have pulled birds in from long range and just stopped calling and let the dek bring them in. I love them and am going to hate going to another state that does not allow them.

Default I have found...

I have found that they are an incredible tool for getting some attention and have no doubt they increase significantly your ability to turn the ducks in your direction from a distance. I don't think you will disappointed with your decision to purchase one.

I own several and they are spectacular. They help get the ducks in close to offer higher percentage shots. The do flare geese and swans depending on the circumstance. We tried to fix that with remotes, but the remotes are too fragile for us.

You don't need to buy the remote. I had to rewire my luck duck b/c of corrosion problems (he likes to swim sometimes...), and rigged it up so I can connect it to a spool of cheap speaker wire to turn it on and off. I just run the wire back to the blind and twist the wires together. A little more work, but no flimsy and expensive remote to lose in the mud.

Mojos in my area have become a flag for hunters that the ducks can see. Every tom, dick, and larry has one and they ALWAYS use it. They are so over used here that they have become a "flaring device".

We do however used the WING THANGS to draw attention to the blocks and then put them away when the birds begin working us.

We use 3 of them all season. They seem to always work for us. Especially on teal and mallards. I have had geese come into the spread with 3 baby mojo's going and have had swans try to land with them. I have never had a problem with them flaring geese but I have heard they don't like them.

I think they are definetly worth the 60 to 80 dollar investment.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default mojos in alaska

I well take it with me and not set it up in early morning don't need it .
    If I need it I well put it together after coffee break 9 O'Clock, hopefully
    I should be done by then and not bleeding. I don't advise wires or tug lines in water ,because I don't like retrieving my ducks.GOT RETRIEVERS ?