Thread: We set the date!

Default We set the date!

Spring Jim Creek Cleanup
    at the New Knik River Public Use Area (otherwise known as Jim Creek)
    May 17, 2007 - 10AM until 4 PM
    Sign in at the Pavilion Parking Lot (10.5 miles north on the Old Glenn Hwy/Knik River Rd from the New Glenn Hwy turnoff, turn east (right) on Sullivan Ave (toward Raceway Park) 1.25 miles, parking area on the right)

Help clean up the favorite, largest, most accessible ATV riding area in Alaska.

Make a day of it with friends and family - work a little, play a little, meet new people and old friends and enjoy a fun and rewarding day! We supply the bags and trash disposal; you bring your gloves, your family and friends, sense of humor and favorite way to get around the area! Everyone who collects a bag of trash will be entered in the Door Prize Drawing and gets a plate at the BBQ!

Cleanup starts at 10 AM, the BBQ starts at 2:00 PM with the Door Prize Drawing at 3 PM.

Last year 387 volunteers collected 9.5 tons of trash at the Spring Jim Creek Cleanup. This year we are looking for 500 people to come out and help. This Cleanup has in the last 5 years collected almost 60 tons of trash from this area. The great part is that the first year 50 of us collected over 14 tons and every year we have more people helping, and are collecting less trash. We are making a difference, a huge difference! The first year we worked with rakes and shovels, last year some people had to really scramble to fill a trash bag! People are noticing that ATVers are the ones spending their time and working at making it a better place.

But we aren't the only ones working. The local 4X4 truck clubs; Alaska Extreme 4X4, To Broke To Play and others like the Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance, and local businesses like Premier Earthworks and Miller Enterprises, have worked at hauling out the "heavy metal" junk cars for the last few years and we are hoping they show up again this year.

Notice a trend here? The people the "antis" are saying are destroying the place are the ones putting real effort into making it better. Lets keep it up!
    Mike

copied from alaskaatvclub.org forum
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I just might be able to make it this time. I have BNCOC at Ft. Eustis from April 15 to May 16 so I'll have to get the wheeler gassed up before I leave. If not, then I guess it's the fall cleanup... maybe.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Default Mike

Mike: Nice job and good publicity moment. Glad to hear the event is such a success.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Hopefully the weather will cooperate...

Sounds like a good time! If I'm not out chasing bears in PWS my kids and I will come out for the cleanup party.

Default Come Clean

Mike,

It is an absolute wonderful thing that ATVers have adopted the cleanup of the Knik - an absolute superb contribution!!
    However;
    I am going to remind everyone yet again that the 'antis' as you call them are the ones who started these cleanups (other clean-up efforts exist, as well) and that your claim in your 'about us' section on your webpage still contains the false statement 'the last cleanup was done about ten years before', even though you have seen photos of the huge ANG cleanup the very year before. All motorized users were targeted and asked to join early on in these cleanups - organizers even went around to ORV dealers with invitations and flyers. The response and overall results over the successive years has been fantastic. It is making a terrific difference!
    I realize this is your baby and claim to fame, but your tiring approach and attitude only serves to widen the gap between user groups with the name tags like 'antis' and false statements. That is not the goal. You are to be heartily thanked for all of your super effort and the appreciated results matter hugely, but:

There are folks of all persuasions whom have dedicated many, many years of effort towards change in the Knik and no one deserves the ongoing promotion of divisiveness.

How about a little growth in your approach??

(More background available here and elsewhere with a bit of research: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20078 )
    Last edited by 68 Bronco; 02-22-2008 at 11:06. Reason: grammatical error

Default 68 Bronco

"I realize this is your baby and claim to fame, but your tiring approach and attitude only serves to widen the gap between user groups with the name tags like 'antis' and false statements. That is not the goal. "

Mike, I guess you'll need to pick up 18 tons of trash this year. maybe that will shut the idiots up. Doubtful though. Probably only "widen the gap between user groups". ((jackass))

Good job! Mike, I'll help if I can.

Let's just clean up the knik instead of quibbling over wording and who started the cleanup effort, shall we?

Count me in Mike! I'll have three fourwheelers with the whole family out on this trip!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default OK

Good advice, AKsoldier.
    I reckon it was wrong of me to hijack this thread to insert suggestions that honesty may reap further benefits - my upbringing surfacing.
    I have said my two cents worth and will move on.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Good advice, AKsoldier.
    I reckon it was wrong of me to hijack this thread to insert suggestions that honesty may reap further benefits - my upbringing surfacing.
    I have said my two cents worth and will move on.
    Thanks!
    Isn't the whole point of this to clean up a public use area? What is accomplished by pointing fingers and puffing up like a peacock? NOTHING! Let's forget our differences for at least a day and combine our efforts to clean up one of the most beautiful places in the world. Let's make sure the Jim Creek/Knik area from the trail-head to the Glacier will be accessible to everyone for at least another thousand years.

Arguing semantics will only shorten the life of the trail exponentially.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Thanks for the support!

It is a great way to start the summer, doing some good and meeting a good crowd of people at the same time.
    IceKing! Take the day off from hunting and come out. It is a free lunch and you'll need a shower after a few days hunting anyway!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Angry Oh come on.

Something funny to me.

I'm still pretty new up this way. Only been here for about 2 years.

I don't know the history of this whole deal.
    Ya know what. I DO NOT CARE!
    Do you think 99.999% of the people there will care. NO!

All I am interested in is that it is going to happen.
    That is what is important.

I don't care about if someone is telling the truth or
    not. I have no way of proving either side.
    AGAIN I DO NOT CARE!!

I care about how much trash we can pick up.
    I care about if we have enough hot dog buns or drinks!
    That is what is important.

If you want to fight PM each other. Leave the rest of us
    out of it.

Here is a good plan for everyone to follow.

Get as many people as you can from other clubs.
    Show up, Sign in, Get a bag, Pick up trash and return the
    bag. Enjoy.

I didn't think that was a very difficult processs but for some
    it appears to be. Maybe I'm just simple minded.

But again I DO NOT CARE who started it.
    I wasn't here. Makes no difference to me. None. Zero.

I personally care about seeing the loaders dragging the cars out
    and laughing as they go by. I find that funny.

But. Then I could probably find something to argu about if I really
    tried. I don't have time for that.

Get a bag, and go get trash. Simple.

Isn't there enough crap in the world already to just
    stir up more. Come on......

Bad enough there is so much crap in the world
    we have to stir up more. Unreal.