Thread: Fairbanks area gun stock wizards?

Default Fairbanks area gun stock wizards?

I'm kinda sorta keeping an eye out for a 12-gauge shotgun for my wife. A standard stock is too big for her (5'4") and rather than just guessing that a youth stock would be right, I was thinking that maybe the best line of attack might be to buy a used shotgun with a wooden stock that could be cut down to fit her exactly (w/recoil pad.)

Anybody know who, in the Fairbanks area, would be able to help with this project? I'd like to meet someone that knows how to fit a stock to someone AND can cut the stock down and mount the recoil pad for us. I'd trust an expert more than myself I guess (unless someone convinces me that it's really no big deal to measure someone's length of pull and to cut down a stock.)

Thanks,
    Brian

I can't help with finding a stock maker but, you might look at the Mossberg Tactical Turkey 12 gauge model 500 or 525. They are short, 18.5" barrel, screw in chokes and have an adjustable M4 type stock. I love mine, as does my wife. My son thinks it's pretty cool too. You can find them fairly inexpensive on Gunbroker.com. Very handy and versatile.

Default How about this???

Knoxx has a recoil dampening LOP adjustable stock. You can shorten the stock by up to 4 inches, plus it greatly reduces recoil. Might want to check it out. A cut down stock kills the guns resell value, take off the factory stock and if you ever want to sell or upgrade it for her throw the factory stock back on.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...noxx&noImage=0

Steve

I saw a 16 gauge Winchester on gunrunners website in Anchorage last week. They said they believed the stock had been shortened. MIght be the ticket!

kingfisherktn

Default I think these guys can help

http://arcticgunworks.com/

They seem pretty knowledgeable. Might drop buy and see what they have to say.