Thread: methods of shipping brown bear hides???

Default methods of shipping brown bear hides???

hello all. I am wondering which are the prefered methods for flying with green hides on commercial airlines. If any body has some info on this it would be great. I have also heard there are better chemicals for drying the hides other than salt, I know that weight is an issue for flying so this would be helpful as well.

Thanks
    Thunder

INSURE it for the price of another hunt!!!! Take pics of the box its in on the scale at the airport, i've had guys take them home on the plane but i salt them in the field so they aren't gonna sour right away, a garbage bagged up bear might not last two days in the airport in texas....each hide is different, some tempermental.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Also, make sure the container is waterproof. you want to see TSA get there panties in a bunch is let them see a leaky container. you will never see the hide.

Get a cooler and some dry ice (be sure and mark it as containing dry ice) and throw it on as a piece of luggage.

Other than that pay an expediter to send it for you but that gets into some $$$$.

Default best container for a large hide???

thanks for the previous info, what is the best container to use. i wasnt sure about the average size of a hide bundled up. I am thinking if I Put in contactor trash bags inside of a cardboard box??? I have to ship something to the hunt so a box is prob out of the question. OR maybe those yellow water proof bags. What I dont want is to be at the airport and they say no way and im stuck trying to figure something out.

You can use TTC (see other thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=15708) to reduce the weight. Buy a hard cooler that the hide will fit in. As Blink said, dry ice is good as long as you make sure it doesn't actually touch the hide, it may damage it. You can also use freezer packs. Roll it raw side in, put it in a plastic heavy duty bag, put it in the cooler with the dry ice or freezer packs then tape it shut.

We use Cabela's large boundry waters drybags for shipping hides- they are are easy to roll up and take along if you are not hauling gear w/ them. I would not reccomend shipping a hide w/out salting it first; you can shake it before rolling and putting it in a drum liner- then in the dry bag. You will not be able to get a really big green hide on the airlines anyway- most will not take anything over 100lbs as excess baggage. that is a great problem to have!

Default shipping Brn bear hides

Thunder: I too, am going for brown bear this spring and have done some research on the shipping of the hide, should I be so blessed as to be successful! What I have found out and decided is that i will have the hide air freighted from camp to Anchorage for tanning there. Then after tanning i will have it shipped to my local taxidermist. Depending on where your hunting and how you are getting there you might be just as economical to charter than go Airline + cargo, you'll have to do the math!
    On this forum I have heard many, many times how "outsiders" treat or rather mistreat the local AK residents. Perhaps if we "outside" hunter realized we are indeed guests,and as such did as much of our business as possible in AK we would not only help their economy but also help ourselves with a more positive image. Besides the locals will have more expertise about how to handle our(their) wildlife trophies.
    Good Luck

Default alpha fur

drop it off at alpha fur in anc. they will dry and tan it then send it to you or your taxi.. the only way to go. remember the hide is 150# or more. plus the skull.

Grooundpounder, I see you said you use "large" Cabela's boundary waters dry bags. Is this size for black bears? Trying to figure what size to get. Thanks.
    Mark

hide off a 10'6" that'd been salted for a week was 125lbs, you'll be hard pressed to get heavier hides, so 150 should be the extreeme high end, an 8 foot bear ain't even gonna be anywhere close to that. your looking at like 50-70lbs...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Marko- We use the large backpack model, but the "regular" size is 3600 cubic in., which is plenty for black bear. You can also cinch them up pretty good w/ all the straps on them.

Groundpounder, I did see that backpack model on the web site and really appreciate the advice. I hope I can fill it to the top. I will be looking at the different sizes since you told me the cu. in. So far the black bears I have shot would fit into a WalMart bag.... Not quite but close. I fortunately live fairly close to the Dundee Cabela's and will be going there soon. Thanks again. Mark

I use the large wax fish boxes, I have fit 9 foot brown bear hides with skulls in them and been under 100lbs every time. However I have trimmed and salted hide for a couple of days at camp prior to putting in the box. You can get (from my experience) a 9 foot brown bear hide under 75lbs with proper care (salting). I've often taken the skull on as a carry on (yes when TSA has to open the doubled contractor trash bags you get some looks, but when you are in Alaska they are use to nearly anything). You can use the same box to ship a back pack or duffle bag full of items to your departure location then often store the box with your air trasporter and use it if needed for commercial air...just my experience. When I prepare a hide to ship via commercial air after salting and trimming I roll it as I do every night but this time without much salt as the hide should be pretty dry, I then use the cheese cloth type roll on game bags and put the hide in that which makes it easy to handle and does allow the hide to breath a little, then just before checking in baggage I put the hide (which is in rolled up in the game bags) in a plastic liner, usually not needed if proper salting and trimming has been complete. If I stay in town for a day or so before returning I put the hold hide (rolled in the game bags) in a freezer unless I can find an area to work on it.

Good luck,

PS if rolled up properly your hide will easily fit into a military duffle bag that way if you have to carry it instead of struggling with a heavy box you can put the duffle on your back and carry the empty box...then throw your empty duffle bag into the wax box later.

Thumbs up Thanks for the info....

i really appreciate everyone's posts, i will prob use the duffle since i have several that have been dragged through the desert. if there are any other good ideas out there, that would be cool too.

thunder