Thread: Unit 16 Brown Bear question

Default Unit 16 Brown Bear question

First of all I would like to thank the fine people on this forum, for the advice, comments, and suggestions that have been extended to me. Both past, and present.

I am finalizing an archery spring Brown Bear hunt to unit 16 for spring of 09. Would really like to hear thoughts and comments on bear density, average size, and trophy expectations?
    I am also very curious to know what everyone feels, (year in and year out) the dates for the best 10 days the majority of the dens are popping?

Thanks to all. I envy those who call AK. home. You live in the most beautiful country in the world. I am very happy to have experienced your great state. And count the days till my next visit.

Default Big Unit

Wind man, dates very from year to year in that unit.It is a lage unit bears "pop" out in the sourthern part of this unit up to a week to ten days earlier then the northern part of unit. need a bit more specifics. Good luck to ya on that hunt. Walk quiet in that crunchy snow.

Default coast to 80mi.

Thanks for the reply Buck. Do not exact location. But have been told that will be locating from the coast, to no more than 80 miles inland.

later in may the better for spring bears , they nail them in late march and early april but few and far between, from last week or april on it should be getting better, be ready to shoot a sleeping bear and watch them by the den for hours if not days, you never know when a cub is gonna pop up next, seen in a pile of times, be very very carefull, bow hunting if he's near the den be ready to dig him outa the den, good chance he'll head back in the hole.
    best of luck to you....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Very patient

Thanks for the reply BrwnBr. I am a very patient person, the last thing I want to do is shoot a sow with cubs.
    If a bear does return to the den after being arrowed, how big and deep are the dens? Sounds like alot of fun sticking your head into a dark hole that a big boy ran back into.

Default Dates

One very nice thing is. After alot of discussion, the outfitter has agreed to leave the actual dates open. We have it in the contract as a 10 day hunt taking place between April 15- May 15. That way he can call me depending on the spring to show up a day or two later.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    later in may the better for spring bears , they nail them in late march and early april but few and far between, from last week or april on it should be getting better, be ready to shoot a sleeping bear and watch them by the den for hours if not days, you never know when a cub is gonna pop up next, seen in a pile of times, be very very carefull, bow hunting if he's near the den be ready to dig him outa the den, good chance he'll head back in the hole.
    best of luck to you....

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Due to the excellent cover throughout much of the unit, BB density should be fairly high. If the outfitter knows the area well, he will probably know regular denning areas, which will of course increase your chances of seeing good numbers of bears to choose from.

As far as size goes, expect to see mostly 7-8.5' bears, with the occasional brownie coming in at 9'+. I've killed 2 brownies with a bow and can tell you that an 8' bear from 30 yards looks like he's 10'!!! If he goes back in the den upon arrowing him, you may want to put the stick away and go in after 'em with a club (or rifle)!

Good luck in your planning, hope all goes well and your able to help the local moose population while you're at it!!

Sockeye

dens vary some will be 10 foot or so back into the ground, other will be more shallow, either way its gonna be tight and dark and someones gonna have to go in there, don't wait to long or he'll stiffen up and you won't get him out! lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Thanks

Thank you Sockeye, and BrwnBr. I really appreciate the comments.

Default Happy to help the moose.

Thanks, several comments have been made from the outfitter (Bob Jewett), and the guide (Roy Roth) about knowing of regular denning areas. Which excites me.
    Everyone wants to kill a 9'+ Brown, as do I. But to be totally honest. I will be tickled pink with a solid, legit, nonstretched 8 footer with my bow.

ote=sockeye1;216376]Due to the excellent cover throughout much of the unit, BB density should be fairly high. If the outfitter knows the area well, he will probably know regular denning areas, which will of course increase your chances of seeing good numbers of bears to choose from.

As far as size goes, expect to see mostly 7-8.5' bears, with the occasional brownie coming in at 9'+. I've killed 2 brownies with a bow and can tell you that an 8' bear from 30 yards looks like he's 10'!!! If he goes back in the den upon arrowing him, you may want to put the stick away and go in after 'em with a club (or rifle)!

Good luck in your planning, hope all goes well and your able to help the local moose population while you're at it!!

Sockeye[/quote]