Thread: Fishing on the Kenai-kings???

Cool Fishing on the Kenai-kings???

I am new to fishing in Alaska, more of a hunter. I have been moose hunting near Lake Clark twice, went on a day trip across the Cook inlet for salmon and dolly varden. Haven't been there when the kings were in the Kenai. I am going on a spring bear hunt in Prince William Sound and want to get to the Kenai around June 6. Can I catch fish there on my own or do I need to get a guide?? I ahve seen suggestions to buy gear from a place called Trustworthy Hardware. What do I need, although I am sure they can tell me. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Mark

a guide will make your odds way better, but thats not hard to do when the odds are against you anyway.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Go ahead and buy the gear that you need but I suggest hireing a guide for your first time. When I moved here I was not used to fishing rivers or salmon and it took me more than 40 hours of fishing to land my first king. Go with a guide and lear the right lure/presentation combo, then strike out on your own.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

If you want to do it on your own I would drive 15 miles past the Kenai and fish the Kasilof river for kings. At that time of year you will have a much better chance to bank fish for kings on the Kasilof then the Kenai. I second the motion that Trustworthy Hardware will help you with gear and advice.

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    If you want to do it on your own I would drive 15 miles past the Kenai and fish the Kasilof river for kings. At that time of year you will have a much better chance to bank fish for kings on the Kasilof then the Kenai. I second the motion that Trustworthy Hardware will help you with gear and advice.
    While I would love to take you out on the Kenai, I honestly would recommend getting some gear and heading to the Kasilof. There will likely be a few folks on the bank attempting the same thing, but that is a great way to watch and learn as well...

Here is what I would recommend (unlimited other options)...

Get a good rod/reel like a Lamiglas Kenai Special or comprable G Loomis bait casting rod and either a Shimano or Ambassadeur reel. Spool it with 30# Trilene Maxima Big Game line. Terminate that with a weight slider/bead/snap swivel (in that order).

Rig up a corkie, oakie drifter, or spin n glow behind a sz 5 gamikatsu octapus hook snelled with a bait loop on a roughly 2-3' leader (put a bead above and below the attractor i.e. spin-n-glow or?). Clip a weight onto a short bead chain and clip to the weight slide (size will depend on current... you want it to just touch the bottom as it is drifting by) Pick up the best bait that money can buy, and head south.

At Crooked Creek, your technique will be flip and drift... simply flip the geat at about a 45 degree angle upstream and let it drift down adn play out.... again, watch what others are doing to see how far to cast out adn how far to drift down.

Be ready to change things up a bit as the conditions require. I have caught kings at Crooked Creek without bait on a bare hook with a piece of yarn tied on... So, the kings aren't particularly picky at times...

That will get you started... The folks at Trustworthy Hardware and Fishing will definitely get you rigged up with the proper gear and give you some good advice. It won't be too insane at the store in June...

Good luck

AFG, thanks alot for the gear tips. I am going to see look at this and take your advice for the Kasilof. I assume the Kenai is too tough to bank fish or is it "combat" fishing, as I have heard? I will also pm you. Thanks to all for their advice.
    Mark

The Kenai is too tough to bank fish for kings. Not to say it can't be done but your odds are much, much better on the Kasilof. Good luck and make sure to give me some elbow room....

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    AFG, thanks alot for the gear tips. I am going to see look at this and take your advice for the Kasilof. I assume the Kenai is too tough to bank fish or is it "combat" fishing, as I have heard? I will also pm you. Thanks to all for their advice.
    Mark
    It is a large river in the middle and lower sections (where king fishing is allowed) and it makes presentation a real bear if you don't have a boat. The Kasilof is less than 1/2 the size, which makes it much easier from a presentation standpoint.

Default Kasilof

I would save yourself the trouble of having to buy all the gear and just get out with a guide on the Kasilof. D-Ray personal guide service does a great job, check out the site.

http://www.d-ray.com/

Good luck with your hunt!