Thread: DuraCoat

Default DuraCoat

Anyone ever tried this stuff? Says it can be sprayed right on a blued gun, and that it will last many generations. You can get camo patterns or just solid colors. Some of their examples look pretty nice!

Check it out http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Anyone ever tried this stuff? Says it can be sprayed right on a blued gun, and that it will last many generations. You can get camo patterns or just solid colors. Some of their examples look pretty nice!

Check it out http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
    Dura-Coat is good stuff; you don't want to shoot it directly over bluing though. Blast your surface with something abrasive like aluminum oxide... the texture helps the coating to adhere to the metal. My partner and I did over 100 guns in Dura-Coat, and although there is a certain art to some of the patterns we did most of the basic ones are pretty simple. Dura-Coat is basically a matte epoxy, so it does adhere very well with appropriate surface prep. Make sure to clean your airbrush as soon as you're done...
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default Not Yet

But it is a scheduled future project. I'm going to spray my 45-90 Enfield HK- Black.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Just got my order on the doorstep today. I got 2 different browns, a green, black oxide color, durafill and glow in the dark paint. Just added the glow stuff for grins. IF Im gonna pay hazmat im going all out.

Quote Originally Posted by LAK Supply View Post
    Dura-Coat is good stuff; you don't want to shoot it directly over bluing though. Blast your surface with something abrasive like aluminum oxide... the texture helps the coating to adhere to the metal. My partner and I did over 100 guns in Dura-Coat, and although there is a certain art to some of the patterns we did most of the basic ones are pretty simple. Dura-Coat is basically a matte epoxy, so it does adhere very well with appropriate surface prep. Make sure to clean your airbrush as soon as you're done...

Did you use thier airbrush or will one from a local hoby shop work?

I bought my airbrush at a local hobby shop ($50). It works much better than the cheap one I had from Harbor Freight ($10).