Thread: question about round nose ammo

Default question about round nose ammo

I have a 300 Weatherby vanguard, I've used numerous bullet weights for it, from 165 through 200. But now I'm considering hunting interior brown bears with it. For moose I usually use the 180 gr nosler, but for bears I'm considering using the 220 gr round nose expanding bullet. There isn't too much info on this on the internet, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is a good bullet for the game I'm going after, I'm not a handloader, so factory ammo is what I'm going to purchase. So is round nose ok, and will it give me the results I want on brown bears?

I haven't shot game with a 220 RN at Weatherby velocities, and I don't know what specific 220 they're using. In general though, I'd be suspicious about too light a build for those velocities unless it's identified as a premium bullet of some sort. Drop down to 30-06 and 30-40 Krag velocities, and the 220 Remington RN holds together quite well, as does the Hornady. In your boots, if Weatherby loaded a 200 grain premium such as a Nosler Partition I'd be more comfortable with that than with a lightly constructed 220. Like I said, I just don't know what a conventional 220 is going to do at Weatherby velocities, but I'd do some more checking on the make of it before making up your mind.

Default big is good

With that big case the 220 gr. Nosler Partition or the 200 gr. Barnes X or Swift A Frame should work very well.

Default 250 Barnes

I used a 250 gr. Barnes Original out of a 300 Winchester for years and it worked great , fantastic b.c. . Those Vanguards are a little interesting , I'm diehard Mauser guy but those guns shoot , my buddy has one and it puts them in the same hole out of the box .

Default .300 Weatherby Mag. with 220 gr. Roundnose bullets.

I believe Weatherby loads use the Hornady 220 gr. RN bullet, which has a reputation for being a fairly hard bullet, but I haven't used them in my .300 RUM, preferring a much bigger bore for bears of the Ursus Horribilis (obsolete term) persuasion. I'm sure someone has. Call Hornady about that. My first recommendation would be a bigger bore (my prejudice). My second would be to explore some of the custom ammunition reloaders and see who loads the Weatherby with Swift A-Frame 220 gr., Barnes TSX 200 gr., or other premium bullets. Heavier bullets tend to be better on heavy game.

I can recommend the .30 cal. Nosler Partition, 220 gr., semi-spitzer. I have loaded it and taken game with it with using the .30-40 Krag, .30-06, and have loaded it for a friend who has used it with great success in the .300 Win. at distances from 75 yds. on out. It is a great and flexible bullet, and has been accurate in everything we have tried it in.

If I just don't know about a bullet that I want to test for heavy game, I build a plywood box 3ft. long and wide enough for either newspapers or phone books. Use about 1/2" plywood for the face of the box. Line it with plastic clear up the ends and sides. Start with a large beef joint bone taped onto the center of the end plate. That is your target. Then pack your phone books or old copies of Playboy in medium tight, and fill the whole thing with water. Do this at the exact location where you intend to shoot it. It will be heavy. Let it soak 24 to 36 hours. You may have to add water. Shoot it with those Weatherby factory 220 gr, loads from about 25 yds. or so, from a good rest so you can center that joint bone. For inland bears you want 16" to 24" of bullet penetration in that box if you can get it. The Nosler 220 gr. Partition might give you 16" to 18". I don't have a clue what the Weatherby load will give you, so test it.
    If you don't get that much penetration out of the Weatherby load, go looking for a good, custom reloader. Just my opinion. After years of trial and error, that's what I do.
    Jack.

Default Thanks Jack

that was just the type of info I was looking for, yes I'd prefer to go to a larger rifle, that would make ammo selection a lot easier and bigger is always better, but I've already got $1200 into this gun so I guess I'd better use it for something other than moose. one of these days when PFD's hit $2000 maybe I can get another rifle. In the meantime, I'll either start handloading or try those 220's in that plywood box you wrote about.

Default Thanks Jack

that was just the type of info I was looking for, yes I'd prefer to go to a larger rifle, that would make ammo selection a lot easier and bigger is always better, but I've already got $1200 into this gun so I guess I'd better use it for something other than moose. one of these days when PFD's hit $2000 maybe I can get another rifle. In the meantime, I'll either start handloading or try those 220's in that plywood box you wrote about.