Thread: Best Floatation

Default Best Floatation

What is the machine provides the best floatation in deep, dry snow. Skandic SWT v-800?

Default Old School

I've seen an Elan go through some pretty deep fluffy stuff. Granted the person riding it was also very small.

1980 Kawasaki Drifter 440 converted to a long track. Never ever have found a sled that will float better... and it was certainly one of the lightest "performance" sleds of the era.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Well it either has to have the longest or widest track or be the lightest sled. Find a good compromise on both an you've probably have a winner. Agree with Alaska_Lanch with old school, its hard to beat an old Bravo, Elan, or Tundra. My question would be why only ask about flotation?

Modded 1970 arctic cat Panther......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ski's are 11" wide and track is 16.5" wide. 500 twin out of newer cat,tank made out of aluminum(10 gal.),home made dash and so many other things over the years.Out performed the 94 and 95 Tundra's I used to own as well as my wifes 07' tundra.

She wont settle for the springer suspension of past though. The ole Cat is unbelievable in breaking trail and gets used on all the hunting trips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Koyukuk View Post
    What is the machine provides the best floatation in deep, dry snow. Skandic SWT v-800?

In deep powder I have yet to see a snow machine even come close to the V800 SWT, excellent floatation and performance in deep snow.

I thought this was the case. I wish someone would challenge the SWT to a deep snow contest. Any polaris or Arctic Cat would be humiliated.

When the snow gets deep enough, Tundras work really well to break trail for piggy wide tracks so they can get home.

The best floater I ever saw was an Okelbo. Very Tundra-like, but something about it seemed to defy gravity in the deep stuff. Incredible machine.