Thread: 308 bullets

Default 308 bullets

I plan to hunt spring black bears this year with my 308 I have never hunted with it what bullet would you all recoment for black bears.
    Thanks

Federal Premium 165 grain Barnes TSX. If your guns likes them, but stick with a hard hitting premium bullet.

Good Luck

Steve

Personally I think the 165 grain bullets are optimal for the .308. The 180 would be the other choice. Black bears are not that hard to kill if you insure bullet placement is good. Any 165 grain bullet suitable for medium to heavy game would be great. Nosler partitions are always a good bet.

One thing to remember when hunting Blackies over bait, is that Grizzlies like to eat your bait as well and can get down right possessive about it. Just stay on your A game on the way to the stand. I like to use my shotgun with slugs to check the bait and to get to the tree. I then will hunt with a rifle or bow. Baiting is a blast, just stay safe. Sitting here in North Pole watching water drip off the roof. Spring will be here soon.

Steve

Default yep

Ya I normally carry my 300 win mag to hunt the bait station and have at least 1 brown come in every year, luckily while im in the stand, havent jumped one on the bait or trail yet (knock ,knock) thats why I have been reluctant to use my 308 but I decided to use it this year. I will carry my 12 with slugs for the walk in. And my partner carries a 300 as well.
    thanks for the suggestions

Federal Premium 165 grain trophy bonded bear claws....
    http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm

Of course no mater what you chose you want to make sure that your rig shoots them consistently and accurately. Some of my guns are finicky and what shoots well in one rifle dose not necessarily shoot well in another. I see a lot of great suggestions in this thread. My .308 just loves ammo from Black Hills. The Gold rifle ammunition line is manufactured specifically for hunting. The 168 Grain TSX is another fine choice. You can pick them up for $38.00 bucks a box at Cabela’s.

Here is the bear I shot with a 308 win that I had owned a while back. The bear is 70"Lx75"W. BTW I was 5'10" 210.

The bullet is a 180 rem core-lokt that weighs 165 now.

The shot was 250 yards mostly head on. Hit in front of chest were neck meets the body. Bullet was found in the opposite rear leg.
    Last edited by RMiller; 04-08-2008 at 13:29.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

This is how the rifle shot with these loads. Well this is how I shot , the rifle could do better than I.

14 shot group with the rems, 4 with the FMJ's yellow box UMC. Both these are factory ammo.

8 rounds with the x bullets , 12 rounds each with the other 165's. All handloads.

The week before I shot the bear I had shot a fork moose with the Barnes X's.

100 yards win mod 70 pre-64.

I was told this rifle had dispatched many a brown bear and the previous owners favorite load was the rem 180. When I bought the rifle it came with 10 boxes of the 150 fmjs and 15 boxes of the rem 180's and a partial box of win 180 RN.
    Last edited by RMiller; 04-08-2008 at 13:29.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default #08

I use my 308 for everything. Standerd ammo for whitetail & boattail's for mule deer. Federal makes a Noslar Partition 180 grain that hits with 3000 ft lbs at muzzle I use on bigger stuff. Nice to have a 5.5 lb rifle that hits harder then a 30-06. Federal has a caution on box for this ammo. DO NOT use in semi auto's

Thumbs up 308 Win.

The 168 TSX is designed for the 308 Win. Tough Bullet......but for black bear @ short range the Winchester 180gr Silvertip/ 180gr Rem SP works very well........just about anything works but I suggest a 165/168 and 180 bullets. Save the 150's for deer.

Shot placement is more important......lungs or high shoulder is where I like to aim!

Smoke the Hams!

Cant really go wrong with the Barnes TSX.

I took a nice 7' black bear boar last season using the 150gr winchester XP3's and all the shots were pass throughs except for one which hit both shoulders...They also performed well.

However, I made the switch to TSX's and thats all I'll be shooting out of my .308

Default XP3

Shot 2 mule deer with this load. Worked perfect.