Thread: How many Brown Bears sighted

Default How many Brown Bears sighted

Basic question here. If a hunter was to book with a reputable outfitter or guide for a Brown Bear hunt in Alaska, not being specific to a certain area, but lets say a spring hunt. How many Bears should the hunter expect to see on a 10 day trip. Even to get more specific, lets say April 16 to the 26th. Both non shooter and shooter bears?

I know this is a very vague question, but am talking with several hunters off a reference list who keep telling me they only saw one bear, or the only bear they saw was the one they harvested. Wondering if this is a common occurance or if the hunter should have seen more bears than ONE?

I really dont need to go too far out on this and expect allot of questions with reagrds to weather or so on, just keep it simple. You honest opinion is what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Steveo

You could see zero bears or 20 or more, it all depends on the area and the bear density. I know a guy that hunts brown bears every year and if he see's more than 2-3 he's doing good BUT, he usually gets one every year. It's all about timing IMO.

Default Good Timing

Weather, conditions, and area are huge factors, but I would expect that one should see at least 5 bears. I'm basing this on S.W. AK where I used to live. The timing is perfect though, not too early and not too late. I killed a 9 12 footer on Apr. 6 and an 8 1/2 footer on Apr. 13. If he is a reputable outfitter I would expect him to be flying in the evenings and spotting bears or tracks for the next days hunt.

if the outfitter is flying to find bears i'd be a bit leary, thats touched on in the guiding regs under ethics i belive it is...
    mid april hunt anywhere from 1-6 bears would be normal for all the areas i've spring hunted in, kodiak and western ak, even early may in some areas of the state i've only seen a handfull on 10-12 day hunts, bears dont' really start poppin' outa the hole till second week of may and later, thats when the "rush" comes on.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default spring bears

In the last 6 hunts to the SE probably averaged seeing 10 bears in 8-10 days. As always, some days none and some days 2-3, you just need to spend your time in the woods.

[QUOTE=BRWNBR;215956]if the outfitter is flying to find bears i'd be a bit leary, thats touched on in the guiding regs under ethics i belive it is...

Hi BRWNBR,
    I didn't realize that outfitters weren't supposed to do that. In Aleknagik, near Dillingham, where I lived. The skies were filled with super cubs starting the first of April looking for bears. I didn't mean to give any bad info.

I don't think Jake is saying it's illegal, I believe what he's trying to say is it's an ethics violation in the guiding industry. It's not only done for brown bear, but for sheep and moose as well.

goaty, ya the dilly air force, guided over there last spring and saw one plane. i was up on beverly most of the time, near golden horn and silver horn, rainbow basin as well.
    its done alot these days, but i guess i feel guys who do it from the air, don't feel good enough to be doing it from the ground, turn over the clients as fast as you can means more money in the pocket. sheep and moose are popular as well and the guide industry is trying to crack down on it a bit.

the guide reg says " avoid using an aircraft in any manner to spot big game for the purpose of taking a specific animal." Thats under the Proffessional Ethics Standards for Guides. and the above is deamed unethical. The same section states its unethical to make any garuntees to how many animals will be seen or harvested. With just these two standards they could shut down ALOT of guides right now.

Guiding has lost alot of its history, like the adventure of it all, used to take three months to get to kodiak and get a hunt now, now guys want to get in and in three days knock a 10 footer down, check it off the list and get back to work....wheres the adventure in that? find it from the plane that night, nail him early in the morning, get back to work. Its a tough business for the guides who are trying to be old school fair chase, now its all new school fair chase...people don't want to pay money for a trip, they want to pay money for a trophy.
    Master guide 212

Default The Good Old Days

Jake I agree 100%, the only time I remember myself coming a bit unglued on this Forum (actually the older AKForum) was on a thread talking about a 10 day hunt where someone might get lucky and bag an animal the first day, as I understood it the hunt was over and you head back to town! That's not my bag, so I always get a bear tag or something even if not in beary areas, so if I'm lucky enough to tag a moose early I have an excuse to keep on campin...

To each his own I guess, but if I'm in and out in 3-4 days, that's hardly enough time to slow down and enjoy the wilderness...need a little longer to adapt to nature's pace.

Default I see no problem....

... with ending a hunt in 45 minutes, if one is so lucky. But then, I usually have the luxury of coming home, regrouping and going to a different place. Ahhhh, retirement.... And, yes, having a guide up in the air every night is not part of hunting; it's that "shooting" thing again. If I came up here from Outside and had only that one hunt, I'd sure hope for a lot of potential opportunities and to perhaps get something way toward the end of the stay.

MD, i hear ya taggin' out on day one and heading home doing it on your own is different than taggin' out day one after you spotted him from the air.
    Most all the hunts i do, when the tag(s) are filled we head home, we could stay and pick berries or stare at each other but most guys don't feel the need to tempt fate with alaska weather. One season i got outa the lodge i was at right away after my hunter was done...plane didn't get in or out for 22 days after i got out...
    Master guide 212

Default gettin' out

I agree with you guys about just gettin' out. Just ask my wife, she gets mad after I've killed my moose or bear but keep taking other guys out so I can keep on hunting. I just tell her, she wouldn't like it if I were home and not hunting because I would be too grumpy to talk to.
    BRWNBR, I guess I was just used to how it was around DLG with the flying for bears so that's how I thought it was done everywhere. Of course at least one of those guides is in jail now. I love that country, I live in Delta now and I especially miss it during hunting season. What a great place to hunt and fish.

deltas a far cry from dilly, something about living off the road that opens up alot of doors.
    ya one of those guys is in jail but i've got a feeling that he didn't get a fair shake once i was over there talking to everyone invloved...
    Master guide 212

Default I Hear Ya Fellas

I agree about gettin' out when you're tagged out, that's why I buy a second species tag in case I get lucky in the first day or two...call someone for a meat haul, then set out after that second species...

This year I'm hunting moose in the 40 Mile country, bought a black bear tag in case I get lucky early...and bringing my fishing rod, supposed to be a lot of grayling in the lake where I'll be. Not many bears along the lake, but you never know...

Sorry for the thread hijack....on topic, I've seen anywhere from 1 bear to 15 bears over a 10 day hunt, bear isn't my primary species tho.

Default Fair Shake...

BRWNBR, I actually liked the guy, you could say we were friends. I know what happened, but that may have been a one sided story. He did have a short fuse though. I've seen it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya one of those guys is in jail but i've got a feeling that he didn't get a fair shake once i was over there talking to everyone invloved...
    I think I know who your talking about and he's not in jail.
    Convicted of 9 felony's and he's building a new house in Palmer. Yep, he got the short end of the stick. My best friend was on the jury, believe me he got more than a "fair shake" Like I said before, just walk around town and ask people and you'll get a good idea about him. A friend of mine and him were assitant guides together, he told me "I can't believe he hasn't killed somebody yet" Sorry for the rant, but I get sick of hearing people defend 9X convicted felons.

As far as the flying & spotting brown bears in Wood-Tikchik, I believe they changed the Regs last year. My guide buddy always had somebody spotting for him, but told him not to come last year because of the new reg. I could tell a huge difference in the air traffic last year, almost eery it was so quiet. About time.

KK

Default Sw Ak

Goaty and Kandyohi, you guys live in some of the prettiest country in Alaska in my opinion, I've hunted moose and bou along the Nush, the King Salmon, and the Chichitnok. Saw bears and wolves, and even saw two wolverines chasing a couple of caribou away from their den one year.

Bought a bug jacket in the Muddy Rudder one year for $10, that's the best $10 I've ever spent! Really helps keep the bugs off when glassing or cleaning an animal.

KK we'd better let that topic die now...
    Master guide 212