Thread: Q's about a couple of projects for my fishing boat...

Default Q's about a couple of projects for my fishing boat...

I have recently purchased a mid-80s 18' Klamath aluminum open fishing boat. I'll use the boat primarily on the Kenai.

The interior was painted years ago and i want to re-paint it.

Is there a good product to prep the inside for paint? Should i use TSP or similar? Scuff it up with a a scrubber pad? Both?

I'm planning to use an epoxy paint similar to what you'd put on the floor of your garage mixed with some sand for traction. Good idea or is there another product i should consider?

Thanks!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default Have at it...

I just recently sold my old Klamath 18ft Offshore Open w/ center console. I think it was about a 1982. I'm gonna really miss that boat-- put a 50hp 4-stoke Yamaha prop on it and it was great--- sipped fuel, and moved the thing at 29mph w.o.t. and cruised at 25 mph at 4500rpm no matter how much weight you loaded it up with. ( and being a Cabin owner, I loaded it up ALOT ).

I repainted the floor boards and inside 2 yrs ago. Used TSP to swab things down-- good ol' elbow grease with a sponge. Didn't take long. Used Iterlux Brightside Plyurethane paint with sand. Marine grade. Dark Blue. Came out great. Used a brush and a roller. Never slipped again.

'Have a new 22ft Searunner soft top now. Love the new boat. But I used that Klamath for over 10 yrs and it never, ever, let me down. Wanted to keep both ( it would be Kenai legal now ) but the Mrs. was watchin' the $$ sittin' there in the backyard.

Only caution I'd offer is to not take her out too far in the Ocean. The V-bow will cut the waves ok, but she's not built as stout as the higher end boats. You'll take a pounding, but she'll get you home safe. As you get older, that pounding gets harder and harder.

Sorry for rambling, but darn... I loved that boat.

Thanks for your response Mr Bill. Sounds like i'm basically on the right track for sprucing up the old girl! I appreciate your advice on heading out on the ocean and the positive comments about the boat. i hope it will be as good a boat as the one you had!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.