Thread: 20A moose last chance- help!

Default 20A moose last chance- help!

Thinking of heading north this weekend for a shot at antlerless moose. I see that zone 4 is now closed, so zone 5 it is. Does anyone know-

1. Trail conditions. Has the warm weather destroyed the snow, or is it still OK for snowmachines?

2. Access routes. To get to zone 5 via the Rex trail, you have to cross the Wood River. From the dogleg in the Rex around the Gold King Creek crossing, can a guy leave the Rex and go straight East along the foothills to the Wood, or is there lots of obstacles? On the map it is shorter, but is it worth it?

3. Where are the moose in zone 5? Early reports had them up in the foothills, but that may have been for zone 4.

4. What condition are the river crossings in?

Thanks for the help. We plan to go in Friday am and be out Sat night... (I know, a lot of riding and probably not much hunting) When we get back, will post info for those who might go between then and the 29th when the season closes. WW

I doubt that it would be reasonably doable to get to zone 5 from the REX. I have been mulling over the sae thing but from the Delta side. The big question there is if there is anyway to get across the river on that side.

Default wood river

I don't think you can go straight east off the rex to wood there is a trail a ways out but it disapears at bonnifield creek. When I got a bull during muzzloading it was near there. Tons of overflow took 10 hours to make it back to the road after getting moose on sled.I was by myself so I had camp, gas, and a 50 inch bull on siglin not a light load. I also burned up both belts i had with me on my grand touring second one was in chunks when I made it back to the road. Good luck

Smile best option for Zone 5

Your best option for zone 5 is parking the truck at the boyscout camp lake and crossing the Tannana with the sled and following the West side of the Little Delta back.

I would run my sled in a foot plus of snow that currently is sitting on the east side of zone 5.

With this warm-up of weather your crossing would be the only dicey part of the trip. I saw a lot of overflow on the Tannana yesterday on my way past the Salcha River.

If you do go, take your cell. Your cell will work in a lot of that area. Give me a call and tell me how many you saw. PM me if you want more specific details.

Default Is it THAT warm up there?

Quote: "I doubt that it would be reasonably doable to get to zone 5 from the REX. I have been mulling over the same thing but from the Delta side. The big question there is if there is anyway to get across the river on that side. "

Is the Wood River thawed and overflowing, too?
    Maybe somebody will feel the need to fire up their airboat to go moose hunting in February...!!!

Good luck guys--there ain't no moose worth breaking through the ice for...

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    "Maybe somebody will feel the need to fire up their airboat to go moose hunting in February...!!!
    Did someone say AIRBOAT !!!!! As warm as it is sounds like a plan,To bad my freezer is full of Bison otherwise I'd take you up on that idea..........
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

For what it's worth, I checked out the Tanana crossing at Birch Lake on Saturday and ended up turning around. River was open for at least a mile with only a couple of very dicey looking ice bridges. I'm sure with enough speed I could have made my way across, but returning with a moose would have been more risk than I was willing to take. My freezer is full, so no reason to play those games.

Somebody tried it I'm sure, but not me....

With this 32+ F weather, I'd guess Zone 5 is a write off for the rest of the season. Maybe somebody knows something I don't though.

Yellowknife

Hunters have been crossing around Birch Lake area. I went to Delta on Saturday and Monday and it looked like Arctic Man along side of the road. I followed a hunter back on the Rich Hwy on Saturday that had bagged his moose. On Monday I stopped at Midway on the way back and overheard a few hunters talking about breaking through the river. I think it comes down to having enough b*lls to get across the river but for me a moose isnt worth possibly losing my life with the unstable river and weather.

At daylight on Saturday, there were about 20-25 hunters working their way up and down try to find a place to cross. After an hour, none of us had worked up the nerve to try it. There were alot more trucks unloading when we left. I'm sure somebody eventually risked it and everybody else followed. If they got moose, good for them. I've taken my share of game for the year and was just taggin' along to help a friend out.

Anybody from this forum cross the river?

Yk

I fell into the same catagory, just trying to help a friend out. We started looking a few weeks ago at trying to get across but just couldnt mustar up enough cahonas to try to go across. I have heard of a handfull of hunters who have broken through that section this winter alone. Congrats to anyone who did get across and tag out.

Got my first moose yesterday over there. They are there in the hills. We crossed on one of those ice bridges last weekend and yesterday with no problems.
    Carl

Glad to hear you made it in, the rest of us need to turn in our harvest tags at the end of the week.

Default got mine

I got mine last weekend, just before dark ( as always ) Shot a big cow a few miles across the river in zone 5 saw about a dozen moose on the way in including a pair of big bulls.

yea I know how that feels. We were back up in the mountains and I shot the moose at 4:30. Snow started to fall and it got dark quick. We got to the river by 11:00pm and there was a fresh 2 in of snow over the ice and it was still coming down hard. We kind of guessed where we had crossed before so I said a little prayer and I ran across with out the moose. Made it so I ran back and got the moose. Probably one of the scarier things I have done. Done some scary things but this was up there.

Carl