Thread: Trousers-Bibs-Waders

Default Trousers-Bibs-Waders

I will be fishing the Kenai in late July. I am very well equipped with rainwear for the top of my body. I have both a Gortex jacket and a Hodgman wading jacket. However, all that I have for my lower body would be regular trousers of various types and/or breathable stocking foot waders.

My question is, will I need waterproof trousers or bibs, or can I wear my waders while I am on the guided river trips. I want to be comfortable and and there are few things less comfortable than a cold and wet butt. I am open to suggestions as to what would be the best cover for my lower body.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 02-19-2008 at 10:49. Reason: typo error

Default Great question

I'll be interested in these responses too. I was just going to bring a lightweight breathable rain coat and pants, I will be bringing my waders to Alaska but wasn't planning on bring them on any boats.

Ok I'll bite. Are you doing to be fishing for Kings or Reds? King fishing is true guided fishing where you dont' step foot off the boat. (lower river). They drive from hole to hole and either use spin-n-glos and eggs or some type of swimming lure sometimes with bait wrapped around it. Soooo kinda like trolling.

Red fishing or trout is mainly upper river and there you would stop the boat get off and fish some. I would think you would need waders there but not for kings. Both trout and Reds you do not need to get in water more than 2-3 foot deep.

The Kenai is very cold. IF you are going to wade I would say use the neoprene type wader wich can be picked up in anchorage for $40. I had some nice beathable gore tex ones and they were not warm enough. I switched back to the old think neoprene. They suck to hike in though so I just carry them in a backpack.

Hope this helps some.

You can wear your breathable waders for either choice. If you layer properly underneath them they will work fine. I spend September fishing the upper Kenai and wear my Simms G3's and am perfectly comfortable. If the weather/water is very cold just wear a pair of fleece wader pants under your waders, this works fine for fishing into single digit temps.
    A good wading jacket over breathable waders is just the ticket.
    If you are going to be in any guide boats/planes leave the studded boots at home and use plain felt bottoms. Guides and especially Pilots are not fond of studded boots, they really mess up the floor of drift boats and expensive float plane floats.

Default Warmest time of year...

will be late July/early Aug on the Kenai. Shore fishing for reds just get some neoprene hip boots; waders way overkill. I've got a pair of them from Cabela's (about 100 bucks) and they are the most comfortable boots of any type I've ever worn, no kidding. The rubber ones that are cheaply bought are cheaply made, often leak, and no warmth to them in the river water. My father in law favored chest waders, but they were such a pain in the hind end he forsook them for hip boots for red fishing.
    Jim
    PS---I can stand (and have) stood in Kenai river water fishing reds for 4 hours straight with one pair of regular socks with those Cabela's neoprene hip boots.
    Last edited by Big Jim; 02-22-2008 at 23:18. Reason: spelling

I almost always wear breathable waders in my Kenai sled on all but the hottest days... then it's shorts and flip-flops.

The waders make great rainwear "bottoms" plus they come in handy when beaching the boat for a C&R pic.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

waders are fine.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I will be fishing the Kenai in late July. I am very well equipped with rainwear for the top of my body. I have both a Gortex jacket and a Hodgman wading jacket. However, all that I have for my lower body would be regular trousers of various types and/or breathable stocking foot waders.

My question is, will I need waterproof trousers or bibs, or can I wear my waders while I am on the guided river trips. I want to be comfortable and and there are few things less comfortable than a cold and wet butt. I am open to suggestions as to what would be the best cover for my lower body.

Wadders are fine most of the time I never go in above my knees, I fish the Kenai and when the fish are in there is no need for a guide. You can get your limit in a hour on a good day and a little longer onan average day. I like to go out in the morning keep 2 then release the rest and get my last fish in the evening.

Default Waders

Go with the breathable waders, forget the neoprene, just wear some synthetic layers underneath (NOT BLUE JEANS) and you will be fine, dry, and comfortable. Hip boots are halffast if you get my drift. They sag and bunch, they will fail if you slip and fall, they cost too much for what they do (for a pair made of decent material) and if it does rain, your goretex jacket will leak directly onto your lap and down your wonderful hipboots...they are nearly useless to me. And promise you will wear a wading belt...it helps the knees not rub themselves out and keep your waders from becoming water filled anchors if you fall in.
    Enjoy