Thread: Sheep Load for 06'

Default Sheep Load for 06'

I was lucky enough to draw a sheep tag this year and have decided to take my 06' along. It is a model 70 featherweight rebarelled to 24"..... so just wondering what others input on a good bullet and load would be for this up coming sheep hunt??

Something a little flatter shooting?
    And something with good penetration for possible bear deturance?

Thank you in Advance!

RidgeRunner76

My pick for the combo of long range terminal ballistics, flat trajectory and close range toughness would be the 165 grain Nosler Partition pushed to around 2900fps on whichever 4350 my gun liked best. That combo has too long a production history in my guns to ignore or replace.

There's really no way to take a sheep with a 30-06 so you should mail your tag to Murphy P.O. box......

It will be pretty hard to improve on the 30-06 and Nosler partition combination. I have loaded the 165 grain partition and 59.0 grains of H4350 for a lot of hunts. It has never let me down. If you can dope the trajectory out for the 180 grain partition and your rifle will spit them at about 2800, you may feel better about being bear country. It won't take all that for even a drawing sheep but you may fell better about the 180's. Also if you think you may be reaching out farther for longer shots the 165 grain spitzer will out race both the 150 and 180 to 300 yards.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up 06 Sheep Load

H4350 @ 57.5
    Sierra Gameking 165 HPBT
    Fed 210 Match Primer
    FC or WW cases

3" @ 100 yards Zero.......

Really like H4350 in the 30-06 and 300 Win with 165gr/168gr bullets

Thumbs up Right on Fellas !!

It is always good hear what everyones loads are, and very much appreciated as well!!! Just wondering if any one has much experience with accubonds?
    I was given a box of 180's to play with but havent got around to loading those up yet. My friend swears by them but I havent heard much else.

Thumbs up .30-06 for Sheep

The load I shoot for sheep is a 165 grain Hornady Interlock backed up with 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 and a Federal 210 primer. This load is extremely accurate in my rifle. I pack six rounds of "bear loads" with 220 grain Partitions that I load in my rifle at night around the tent and when I am below timberline or in the brush.

Default Perfect

I actually bought a box of Hornady Interlock 150,165 and 190 btsp that was half price a local hardware store about a month ago. I loaded five rounds at each grain from 54 to 57 but havent been able get to the range because of snow!!! Now .... i just might have bring my shovel out there.

thanx for all the feed back,

RidgeRunner76

Default 06 loads

I have used 165 SP interlocks behind 56 grains of IMR 4350 for a while. It has served me very well. Very consistent and accurate. Last year I changed to 180 Partitions, and thumped a goat pretty hard. Difficult to tell the difference on a goat/sheep sized animal. Hard to go wrong with any 165/180 bullet in the 06. As far as accubonds, they have been very accurate for me. I watched a friend shoot a 6 1/2 black bear last spring with a 180 Accubond and 56 grains of IMR 4350, It was a frontal shot around 200 yds, and it piled him up. Hope this helps you out, good luck on the hunt.