Thread: POW Cabin / Boat Rental for Spring Bear

Default POW Cabin / Boat Rental for Spring Bear

5 of us are looking at doing POW for black bear this May. We are thinking about the 3rd through like the 8th. Any comments on the timing of this trip? We are also looking for cabin and boat rentals. I have already talked to several outfits that do have availability but wanted to know if anyone out there has first hand experience with any of them and good things to report.

Thanks

Elkwhisper

3rd through the 8th could be pushing it if spring is late.

kingfisherktn

Default Cabins with skiff

Elk
    Be careful who you rent from.
    Only a licensed big game guide or transporter who owns and provides a transportion service to a cabin may rent a cabin in the field to a big game hunter under current statutes. Unless it is a State or Fed cabin.
    No one other than a guide may rent a skiff to be used for big game hunting if it is already in the field. You must make the transaction for a boat rental in an area "associated with a city town or village" and take possession there.
    This has been very aggressivly enforced in the Kodiak area. I am not sure how they see it on POW.
    The good news is HB 165 passed out of the Senate Resources Committee yesterday with much favorable testimony from the Alaska Professional Hunters Association and the Big Game Commercial Services Board Chairman. With luck and the prevailance of common sense it will be on the Gov`s desk and signed before your hunt so that you can once again rent a cabin anywhere from anyone for unguide big game hunting
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...=25&bill=HB165

Default The Island

I totally agree with the above posts.

Most rentals on POW are under the village / town rule. There are some remote lodges ... and some have got (along with their hunters) cited. The Troopers on POW are also hard on the Transporters and field type operations. Seems like they issue citations every season.

POW Island waters is no place to sharpen your boating skills. Unless you are an very experienced boater in coastal waters, even if you are, you can get in trouble ... fast. That is the reason there are not many boat rentals.

You must be careful with rentals on the Island as there is some absolute junk being rented. In the past I have come across hunters driving on rims back to town (several times) or just broke down on a remote logging road.

Early or late spring who knows? A few years ago we had 80 degrees in late April and last spring you couldn't get around on the road system (because of snow) till after mid May. Even though we have had a couple very nice days at sealevel on south facing slopes and the Crocus are trying to push up through the snow here in Ketchikan ..... there is still plenty of winter where the average Bear dens ........

Default What about June?

I've hunted POW twice, both times about the first week of June. I liked it then because all the bears were out, and after June 1 you aren't required to take the meat out. If you're flying in, that can be a lot of extra bulk and it's nice to not have to worry about it. You do have to look over the bears closely though to make sure they aren't rubbed. I shot a 6'9" two years ago and a 7' last year. I love hunting there. Bring a couple changes of rain gear. I went with lodges before so I can't say much about rentals. Have fun.

Default POW

Yep, Muskeg is right, boating skills is a must. While flying up one of the inlets a few years ago, I saw only the roof of an SUV above the water near the beach end of a logging road. Turns out the hunters had not figured on such a large tidal change when they launched their trailered skiff.

Default not funny for them

I remember that one.

They ended up having to buy a newer Explorer (or similar rental rig) .... after 2 tides came in over it before they could get it towed out of there. I imagine just the tow bill was substantial !!!!!!!!!!!

We live by the tide book .... on our Bear hunts .... kinda like all the time .... and even though we have been around that bay a lot of times (even years) we are constantly re-eyeballing the chart ....

was that sunk SUV a black explorer sport-trac. If it was, I rented it a couple years ago.

Talking discount

Was there a discount on the rental rate ? haha ..........