Thread: German Knetics

Default German Knetics

Has anyone ever used silver flame broadheads? Are they worth the money? How do 2 blade broadheads fly vs. 3 blades?

Default GK

I have a freind that posts on here sometimes that shoots those (12ring). pricey yes if i remember right 25 a peice.

The last set I bought was $60 for three. SPENDY.

However, they are worth it in my opinion. I have 9 of these heads. Three are shot constantly for practice, the other 9 have been shot a couple times each to check for accuracy and left alone.

Of the three practice heads (the first batch of three I bought) they were shot TWENTY times into a Yellowjacket broadhead target before they could no longer shave hair. They are so sharp out of the package I couldn't possibly get them any sharper. Using two blade Magnus Stingers that will barely shave hair out of the package..two trips through the Yellowjacket will dull them enough not to shave. Resharpening the Magnus heads to the Silverflame level only lasted 3 trips through the target before losing their edge.

One of these heads was accidently shot into a 55 gallon drum. It penetrated one side and was stopped on the opposite side. My target was sitting on the drum and I used my 40yd pin instead of my 60 The blades were undamaged, but the arrow was broken. I took the head off and screwed it on a new shaft. It still spun perfectly true and it was still shaving sharp.

Accuracy is excellent. However, broadhead accuracy is more in the tuning of the bow than the broadhead itself.

I will be starting on my third year with these heads. They are a step above the Magnus Stingers I used in the past. I have a box full of Stingers that are dull or have the ferrul bent from practice shooting. My Silverflames outlast the Stingers 10:1 so in the long run they are cheaper. Yes, I know that Magus will replace all bad heads, but I just don't feel like taking the time.

Since that Grim Reaper video, seems like everybody is
    "accidently" hitting steel drums and reporting perfect penetration (some even claim at 60yds) and a broadhead that is still in perfect condition.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I've never seen the Grimreaper video... I suppose I could make my own video but it would be pointless. These heads are the toughest I have used. Toughness doesn't really matter unless you actually like to practice with the heads during the off season. The only head, for toughness, that even came close was a G5 Montec..too bad it's tough to get them even close to as sharp as a SilverFlame.

Default steel drum

This is a little old but this guy tested broadheads with a steel drum long before the grim reaper video. Grim reapers cannot be compared to GK. Hillbilly

Doug,

Magnus R&D posts on here quite regularly and for now lives up here.

Second I guess I have to ask, how many moose do you need to shoot through with one head before you have to sharpen them?

Reason I ask, my zwickey eskimos are still shaving sharp on the outside after the shot. Could I do it again? Probably not. But the reality of it is, and it doesnt matter how often you have to or dont have to do it, using cut on contact traditional style heads, you'll need to mantain them. For the price of those heads I'll continue to shoot my eskimos for a long time to come and enjoy sharpening them every so often to boot.

Yeah, thats the third or fourth "test" that I have seen that used the exact same scoring system and very much the same wording on the internet. I don't believe everything I read on the internet. I normally don't waste time to write posts like this, but I am sick of hearing about every rifle that shoots less than 1" at 100yds, and every bow that shoots less than 2" at 20yds. 'specially when people -most often including myself -are looking for help/advice.

Now I am sick of hearing about every broad head that shoots through steel drums and still is so sharp that it will pass through an elephant at 1000yds from a 40# 40 year old bow! I just don't believe that any BH will penetrate a steel drum (at 60yds no less!!!) and still remain sharp, and in most cases even intact. And if somehow someone has designed one that slices through steel drums without damage or loss of sharpness, there will have been so many trade offs or departures from a hunting BH that it will be of NO USE to anyone that isn't hunting steel drums!

So I say BS!
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

The rant notwithstanding, pick any well constructed BH, make sure it is EXTREMELY SHARP -some even call it "scary sharp" -and it will work very well on ANY game if the shot allows the arrow to hit any vital. Lungs, heart, liver, guts, femoral... I have seen all of those work personally, and I have no doubt that ANY well constructed SHARP bh would have done the job. I have never seen the BH in question, but by the responses it must be both of well constructed and SHARP, therefore it must be a good BH. Good shooting.

Saw them on the website and they look as they are built tough. I still can't get over the price for them.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have no vested interest in these heads, no sponsorship at all, and I paid full retail for me. Bottom line..for what I paid for them and for the lifespan I get out of them practicing with them, they are worth it to me. I don't really appreciate my honesty being called into question, but I've been on the net long enough to not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have no vested interest in these heads, no sponsorship at all, and I paid full retail for me. Bottom line..for what I paid for them and for the lifespan I get out of them practicing with them, they are worth it to me. I don't really appreciate my honesty being called into question, but I've been on the net long enough to not worry about it.

Doug, With them being a two bladed, how do they fly compared to a 3 blade? I have the T-1 extremes and they are awesome in there is not much in BH tunning, but one problem is I found in Africa is one of the blades just every shot would break in side the animal.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary- I find two blades no more difficult to get to tune than anything else if it's a quality head. All my Silver Flames spun perfectly on my arrows the first try. Of course, I clean up the end of all my arrows with a G5 arrow squaring tool before I use them, but not every head of other brands have spun true the first try. I didn't even bother to make sure all my arrows had their blades aligned the same and the arrows still shot to the same point of impact. You know what my abilities are, and I cannot shoot field points at 50 yards and better than I can SilverFlames.

SilverFlames were designed with Africa in mind. Now, with a few years of production under their belt, they have been used successfully on many African species. I can't imagine what it would take to break one.

BTW..I am incredibly jealous that you got to go to Africa You deserve it and thanks for your service over in the sandbox.

I purchased three 125s from Alaska Bowhunting Supply late last fall... just because I was curious. After getting my newish Hoyt Vectrix XL bow tuned, they shot as well as field points... I was impressed given they were two blade broadheads and thought they might fly differently from "regular" broadheads.

I took a bison on Colorado with one this February and the Silver Flame performed flawlessly.

By the way, they are the sharpest, sharpest, sharpest thing... let alone broadhead, I have ever seen. Scary sharp!

Rob

Think of these things as custom knives you screw onto your arrows. For 20 bucks a piece, they are a bargain. The quality is there, you have to see them in person to know what I mean.