Thread: best atv tires

Default best atv tires

just got a 4 wheeler but its still got stock tires on it just wondering what everyones thoughts on the best tires for mud and rocks. heard black waters are sweet but also heard that the mud lite's are just as good and half the price.

Default Look in the archives

This has been hashed and rehashed quite a bit on here already. If you just do a search you'll find tons of info. It may be helpful if you tell us what kind of wheeler you bought. Mainly because you don't want to put an overly agressive tire on a lower powered wheeler due to you'll eventually find yourself in a situation where a lower powered machine will have trouble turning those super agressive mud tires from time to time. Also what type of riding you would mainly be doing would be hepful as well. Try looking through these threads also.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=atv+tires

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=atv+tires

I have a 2005 Yamaha Grizz 660 and I put the ITP Mud Lites on it and they are great. Plenty of power to get the job done. No problems at all.

Default No Vote on blackwaters

I have 27" blackwaters on my suzuki, I also have 26" Mudlights on my Yamaha, so I can definetely tell you there is a difference between these two tires. So here is my review, if you want to do tundra skipping, the blackwaters are the way to go, they have better floatation. This is however the only area that they surpass the mudlights, In 2000 the blackwaters were "THE" tire, but I believe the next year 589's came out and blackwaters faded into the background. Mudlights are way better in the mud than the blackwaters, they are more aggressive, and price wise they are about the same. So get the mudlights.

Default The easy answer....

Pretty much any aftermarket tire with a decent lug will be a HUGE improvement over stock. I recommend something with a good lug that wraps around the sidewall slightly and is 6-ply. Saving a pound or two per tire isn't even noticeable IMO so don't let the guys throwing the weight of a particular tire around sway your decision too much.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default wheeler

the wheeler is a 400 sportsman baught it from my inlaws and they just used it to plow their driveway. i think its a 2000 or a 01 only got 700 miles on it

For rocks the Bighorns will do the best but they are not a "mud" tire. I use them here in Kodiak and love them. The rocks here eat many aftermarket tires but the Bighorns stand up well.