Thread: Need a Smith pistolsmith in Anchorage

Default Need a Smith pistolsmith in Anchorage

My M57 started getting balky at releasing the crane/cylinder for reloads. Think I just need a new release piece but it could use a checkup anyway.
    Any good ones out there?
    On a budget so I think WWG is out. The guy that used to be across the highway in Eagle River won't see my shadow in his shop again after he "installed" the sights on one of my 45s. Other than that I'm open for ideas!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I'm told Actions by Gene is a great shop. I've been thinking about taking my 329 their for some work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    My M57 started getting balky at releasing the crane/cylinder for reloads. Think I just need a new release piece but it could use a checkup anyway.
    Any good ones out there?
    On a budget so I think WWG is out. The guy that used to be across the highway in Eagle River won't see my shadow in his shop again after he "installed" the sights on one of my 45s. Other than that I'm open for ideas!
    Mike
    I don't know of a smith in ANC but I know what is wrong with your M57.

A common ailment with S&W larger caliber revolvers is the front tip of the rod that runs through the cylinder and latches at the front gets dinged from recoil. Recoil drives the rod forward and it is soft at the tip and gets flattened out a bit. The rod is sticking in the sleeve and difficult to push forward with the latch release. It will eventually stick forward and the gun will not open and it will not fire because the latch will be partially forward and that blocks the hammer. It is easy to fix and only requires normal disassembly of the knurled ejector rod sleeve. It is left hand threads. Un screw the sleeve and disassemble then spin the rod in your hands with the tip pinched between 400 grit sand paper or crocus cloth. It is a pretty simpe fix, I've done a bunch of them.

I take these apart and smooth up this rod tip and radius it a bit in the 44 and 41 mags to prevent the problem. I have also hardened this rod at the tip. It is odd how this little soft rod can disable a big revolver.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

A sticky cylinder release is a $25 job at Wild West (APG members), if even that, since the problem is solved in 2 shakes of a squirrel tail (usually)

Murph is right on but I can add one thing. Double check the basics first. Make sure the ejector rod is not unscrewed a couple of turns. Most of the S&Ws I have seen with these symptoms were not dinged up, just a couple turns unscrewed.

Default I love this place!!!

Between Murphy and AKLefty they nailed the problem - and they were both right! LOL Thanks a lot guys, its nice to know the old 41 is back in the saddle again (well, back in the leather anyway:-)!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.