Thread: 10/22 upgrades

Default 10/22 upgrades

I was thinking about picking myself up a 10/22 and wanted to put a Butler Creek Folding Stock on it. Has anyone ever used on of these?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031476227292a.shtml

I was also curous what some of the other "must have" upgrades which you may put on a 10/22? I am thinking about a peep site instead of going with a scope.

Thanks,
    TonyJoe

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjoe54 View Post
    I was thinking about picking myself up a 10/22 and wanted to put a Butler Creek Folding Stock on it. Has anyone ever used on of these?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031476227292a.shtml

I was also curous what some of the other "must have" upgrades which you may put on a 10/22? I am thinking about a peep site instead of going with a scope.

Thanks,
    TonyJoe

There are all kinds of upgrades you can do to a 10/22. For example, an aluminum target barrel (several colors available), and even a compensator at the end. Stainless (or blued) target barrel, fluted or smooth if you like, you can replace the hammer, trigger, extractor, etc., You can lighten the trigger to your liking, and so on. You can also replace the barrel with one made of carbon fiver with a steel insert. It's lightweight, and dissipates heat real fast.

I took a new stainless 10/22, and replaced the barrel with a Green Mountain fluted/stainless target barrel. replaced the extractor with one made of titanium, mounted a Burris 4x scope on it, and replaced the stock with a Hogue one. Then I gave this rifle to my oldest son as a present. From a stand he can shoot a box of ammo though a hole about the size of a dime at 30 yards. I have been thinking of doing another, but with a satin-black aluminum target barrel, for myself

Default Folding Stock

I've had a folding stock on my 10/22 for atleast 10 years now and love it. Granted its the only upgrade I've done to my 10/22, but it can still put all 10 shots of a 10 round clip into spruce hen head size area from 25 yrds. I recently bought a Badlands 2800 day/weekend pack for snowmaching or wheelering. With the folding stock it fits nicely in the mesh pouch behind the batwings of the pack and doesn't move at all while I'm bouncing down the trail. Here is a couple pics from a few days ago out the Denali Hwy when I drove from Cantwell to Paxson and back. Was able to take a fox with it, although I only had time to lay it over the seat and didn't unfold the stock or even get my helmet off. I'd say go ahead and get the folding stock makes it a lot more portable for me atleast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 10/22

If you want to know about mods you can do to a 10/22 go to Rimfirecentral.com best 10/22 site out there. I bought my first 10/22 in 1988 and dident modify it until 2004 when I became a member of this site. I ended up making this rifle into a bench gun. I just bought anouther one a week ago so I could hunt with it. I have not even shot it but I ordered a bolt buffer, bolt release and the most important part the hammer. I think this was about 50$. The hammer takes the trigger pull down to about 2 to 2.5 pounds which is a great improvment to the 8 pound pull of a stock Ruger. Go to this web site it will tell you what you want to know.

Default Dont do it

It is a bad habit forming addiction. I started the same way and I have now put about 1200 in to my 10-22. The nice part is when I finished upgrading it I had all the parts to put my stock 10-22 back together.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

It will come as a surprise to many people but the Ruger 10/22 shoots just fine right out of the box.

Soooooooo, what kind of upgrade are you looking for?

Maybe a thumbhole stock to improve the "feel"? Or a pretty piece of wood?

Heavy bull barrel to try to improve the accuracy? Or longer barrel to increase velocity?

Maybe improve the trigger pull? Larger mag release button?

There are a lot of "upgrades" out there that will do nothing for your shooting...
    Like a compensator on a 22??? Give me a break.