Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkeys still near skilak?

Default Turkeys still near skilak?

Anybody seen turkeys near skilak lake road recently or have they all been wiped out by now?-

I saw one in summer of '06, but heard of them being around last summer as well. I don't know if it would be effective to actually target them, but I'll certainly be carrying my bow in my truck when in the area next summer.

On a side note, I saw a turkey in Girdwood last year as well. There are also turkeys in Peters Creek.

Saw a turkey this past July myself right after Sterling right on the shoulder of the highway. Made me do a double take. I'm sure they escaped from somebody's coop like all the pheasants down in Homer.

Default turkeys

A friend of mine was pulled over near skilak road he had been out coyote calling on the other side of the hwy he had just climbed into his truck when an old guy in a pick up came up to him and asked him if he was hunting his turkeys, my friend told him no and said he didnt know anything about any turkeys, the old guy was very rude and yelled some colorful words at him and told him he was tired of people looking to kill his turkeys and even threatened him. He just blew the guy off as a crazy person. So beware, aparently someone out there thinks the turkeys are his they must have gotten loose from his property.

I saw about 5 or 6 out there this past November. Kind of a surprise, they crossed the road in front of me.

There are turkeys in Cooper Landing also. I saw several on the road on the north side that goes to the Princess Lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    So beware, aparently someone out there thinks the turkeys are his they must have gotten loose from his property.
    Well, regardless of if they were his or not, if they're roming free on public land they fall under the feral animal regulations - no limit, no closed season!

There you go! I did shoot at these as well, the downside was I only had a derringer and they like to keep their distance, so I missed.

Default so called turkey owner

I don't know that guy personally but I do kniw his name, "RAY". All I know that he lives at that "Spud Ranch". He aquired those turkeys from the guy in Cooper landing. You are right, he "thinks" they are his turkeys. One day I will bag me one as well. But one of us may be bagging an old man aswell.......

Default saw one saturday

just this side of watson lake. By the time we got stopped and turned around he was gone. I wanted to take him out
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I saw turkeys a few times near Skilak this spring but not at all this winter. I'm a avid turkey hunter and I was all worked up about it until I met the turkey man and found that he raises them. I also did see one this fall near Girdwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Well, regardless of if they were his or not, if they're roming free on public land they fall under the feral animal regulations - no limit, no closed season!
    Call Fish and Feathers.
    Watched them pick up 2 guys 2 years ago for shooting a couple at Kenai Lake...the officer told me there is absolutely no season for them and he impounded everything they had except the truck. I was kind of excited about getting one myself until he that.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Call Fish and Feathers.
    Watched them pick up 2 guys 2 years ago for shooting a couple at Kenai Lake...the officer told me there is absolutely no season for them and he impounded everything they had except the truck. I was kind of excited about getting one myself until he that.
    Interesting. I don't see how one could read the regulations on feral wildlife and come to any other conclusion than they are legal. I would think that you could win that fight in court, but it may not be worth the hassle. Still...if I have my bow in the back of my truck and I see a gobbler, well....it's butterball time!

Would be kind yummy.

I don't know if these are as aggressive as wild turkeys, but they will compete with grouse. They are known to eat eggs of ground nesting birds. I think it is best not to let them get established.
    pete

watching the outdoor channel for years and yearned for a turkey hunt-now I know where to go!

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Call Fish and Feathers.
    Typical of LEO to not know the law and make the "safe" arrest. I hope they went to court and got all their stuff back plus a brown shirt badge.

Default Typical?

Could you be specific about what you mean when you write "typical of LEO to not know the law..."? And when you say "arrest" are you suggesting the accused was taken away in cuffs?

David

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Typical of LEO to not know the law and make the "safe" arrest. I hope they went to court and got all their stuff back plus a brown shirt badge.

Mid Sept I saw 3 of them walking the bank
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

this is ridiculous

its clear they belong to someone else and are not wild - why in the world would you want to shoot a farm raised bird....thats not hunting.

back in the day the Alaskan Spirit would apply and we'd and leave they man and his birds alone. Just because you interpret the regs to mean one thing, doesn't give you the right to go and take what doesn't belong to you. Forget the regs

You want to go turkey hunting, this isn't the State for that - there are a bunch of those 1500 miles south of here

and if by chance you did shoot one and it was on private property (which there is a bunch of down that direction) I hope you get busted to the fullest extent of the law.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast