Thread: How different a Howa from Remington 700?

Default How different a Howa from Remington 700?

I am in the process of making a sheep gun using a Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Roy. I don't care for the Hogue bouncing baby bumper that it came with.

I could just go for the Bell and Carlson Medalist Carbelite with aluminum bedding block for 250 from Midway but I am wondering if HS Precision Rem 700 ADL synthetic stock would fit the Howa barreled action.

I am not really into a McMillan Edge or a Brown Precision. Instead I want a durable synthetic stock that has an aluminum bedding block and a stable platform.

The trigger is fine. I think that the Weatherby concern about triggers and the better method of adjusting them has made them decent.

How different is the Rem 700 ADL action from a Howa?

I am not a smith, a wannabe, or even a "toolie" in fact I am just good enough to really screw stuff up.

I can mount scopes, boresite, clean my rifles and do minor fixits but I worry that too much fun could be problematic.

Thanks before hand,

Sincerely,

Thomas

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

You'd have to find somebody that has one to check and see what would have to be done to make it fit.

There would be some semi extensive fitting for that one.

A big difference between the two actions is that the Howa receiver is flat on the bottom while the Rem receiver is round.
    I've had a Brown Precision stock on my S&W(Howa) for 20+ yrs. with no problems at all. What is your concern with them?
    I did replace the factory trigger with a Timney. Gunsmith couldn't get the last bit of creep out. Now this was 20+yrs ago,maybe they've changed some.
    Hope the info helps.

til later

Default Brown Precision and inflation

Brown Precision and McMillans are spendy.
    I know that you get what you pay for and I have a Brown Precision stock on
    a Mark X 375 that fits and works right.
    However, I like the HS Precision 700 ADL Long action stock and felt that I would prefer that to most.

I probably will just go ahead with the BC Carbelite with Bedding Block and see how it does.

The new triggers are a relatively recent thing.

Sincerely,

Thomas

You might have a look at the Basners "Hi-Tech" stocks or Lone Wolf's Summit. Both are very light and very good. I've got my Mark V Ultra Lightweight bedded in the Lone Wolf and like it. The Lone Wolf stock replaced the B&C factory stock that the rifle came in.