Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .325 WSM Kills

Default .325 WSM Kills

Anyone kill anything with a 325 yet? If so, what was it? What distance, ammo, etc.? How do you like it?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default WSM

I Watched Petersons Outdoor Hunting Show On The Outdoor Channel Last Night And They Showed A Northwest Alaska Grizzley Hunt Using A Kimber Rifle In 325wsm. This Was A Spring Bear Hunt In The Arctic, Very Cold, Snowy And Windy. They Made A Stalk On A Bear That Was Feeding On A Moose Kill. They Made A Shot, The Bear Crawled Off And Died. The Round Seemed Effective. I Shoot A 300wsm, I Love It. I Can Only Imagine How Great The 325 Will Be. I Would Not Use My 300 For Big Bears But Everything Else It Is Perfect. Let Me Know What The Recoil Is Like On The 325.

That episode was such a joke. I have to chalk this one up as another reason on why I despise Peterson's Hunting. The bear was clearly hit, and hard, but instead of shooting it AGAIN because it was still moving, Craig decides to watch through his scope as the bear paws and claws its way out of view where it finally died (they even commented that the bear went out of view from them to die, meaning it was still capable of moving).

Sorry for the vent and for side-tracking your thread!

Took a blackie at 200 yards. Pancaked. 6" exit hole with factory ammo. I like it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That episode was such a joke. I have to chalk this one up as another reason on why I despise Peterson's Hunting. The bear was clearly hit, and hard, but instead of shooting it AGAIN because it was still moving, Craig decides to watch through his scope as the bear paws and claws its way out of view where it finally died (they even commented that the bear went out of view from them to die, meaning it was still capable of moving).

Sorry for the vent and for side-tracking your thread!
    you get extra points on the video games if you only take one shot....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you get extra points on the video games if you only take one shot....
    Funny you mention video games, I have been playing the latest cabelas game for the wii. While it has many negatives I do like the way it displays the vitals and think it can be pretty usefull for teaching shot placement. My kids LOVE it!

I have killed moose and grizzly's with mine. Kimber Montana .325 WSM. Seemed to work very well. Of course shot placement helped also. Nothing that I shot ran more than 20 or 30 yards. I generally shoot 200 gr. Barnes TSX or XLC's and sometimes 200 gr. Accubonds. For sheep and smaller game like that, I have been using 185 gr TSX and 180 gr Accubonds. And when I shot my last grizzly, I shot him once, in the shoulder, (200 gr. TSX) and he piled up but kept pawing and spinning in circles so I shot him two more times to put him down completely. I am not one for chasing a wounded bear into the alders if I don't have to.

When I hunt I shoot as many times as it takes to completely dispatch the animal as humanley and quickly as possible. I don't think that the animal needs to suffer any more than necessary.....so that one shot business is ok if it is a complete kill in that one shot. If not then who cares, shoot a couple more times if necessary. Besides I don't want that bull moose running off and making my pack back to the boat any further than it has to be.

Just my two cents.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...alohunt065.flv

Shot with a browning .325 WSM, 200 yards +-, 200 gr accubonds.

Hope to have it out this spring on black bear.

imo that animal should have been shot 1 more time to stop the suffering

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    imo that animal should have been shot 1 more time to stop the suffering
    You realize that video is a little over 2 minutes don't you.. He is completely done for at the end of that clip. I don't see one bit how jamming some lead right into his ass is going to stop anything.

like i said my opinion but 2 min is kinda of a long time when there was plenty of opportunity for a second shot unless you enjoy watching an animal struggle to get up several times but like i said my opinion

maybe that was they're last bullet? uhhhh ...yeah, thats it!

Default Love my 325 wsm!!

I took 3 deer on kodiak this year with mine, none took more than 3 steps. I was using 200gr accubond, a little bit much for deer but I wanted something that would give a bear a head ache if needed. Plenty of bears but they must have sensed the Kimber!!! Anyhow, all were pass thru's except a straight on shot at 230yds. The bullet entered the chest and we found it resting against the hide infront of the hind leg. The damage to the vitals was amazing and the front half of the bullet was perfectly mushroomed.

I missed my shot at a dandy billy but the deer that I hit went down hard! I love it and enjoy the zero tracking so far.

What makes anyone so sure another shot into the rear of the buff would have hastened his death? How is this particular kill any less humane (if that is your concern 06) than a bow kill?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wow, this is an ancient thread resurrection. I can answer my own question now that 3 years have gone by! I've killed sheep, moose and bear. 200gr accubonds and 220gr Sierra Gamekings.

Nice home video. I would say this is just as humane as a bow kill. If I had a chance to put a second arrow in an animal though, you can bet I would. Come on, how many shot do you get to take at an animal every year? Take the opportunity, put that second shot down range.

I picked up a 325wsm last month. Can't wait to head out for spring bear.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Funny you mention video games, I have been playing the latest cabelas game for the wii. While it has many negatives I do like the way it displays the vitals and think it can be pretty usefull for teaching shot placement. My kids LOVE it!
    I played a hunting game on the Wii and a lion ate me while my kids watched, creepy...

In the one minute after the shot the animal jogged about 50 yards farther away and only presented a couple chances to put a clean shot into it without damaging any meat. I would not just load an abviously dying animal up with more lead unless I was absolutly positive that it would not cause unnecceasary meat damage.

Good video of the bison.

Pretty typical of a good heart/lung shot in my experience. No need for more trauma and gunfire- the animal is dead, its body is just catching up with the inevitable. The animal was solidly hit and some critters (especially really big ones like a bison) can take a little time before succumbing to even a very good shot. This guy wasn't going anywhere and expired pretty quickly. I've had solidly hit deer go much, much further. From the video it appeared he was bleeding very heavily and even if he'd made it a little ways the snow would have made a simple tracking job. I've seen a moose take a solid hit through both lungs and then go back to feeding for what seemed like an impossibly long time before plunking over.

Shooting at the animal's rear end doesn't give you much of chance of a quick kill- about all you'd accomplish is busting up the guts for a nasty butchering job and ruining the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    In the one minute after the shot the animal jogged about 50 yards farther away and only presented a couple chances to put a clean shot into it without damaging any meat. I would not just load an abviously dying animal up with more lead unless I was absolutly positive that it would not cause unnecceasary meat damage.
    Meat damage on a brown bear/grizzly bear? Who cares! Keep shooting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast