Thread: Need info on fleece

Default Need info on fleece

Can anyone tell me if fleece works as good, or close to wool for warmth when it gets wet. looking to get some new gear for this season and looking for something lighter than wool. Thanks

Fleece is great stuff. I'm wearing it as I type this. It works great wet, dries fast and is lite weight. Just stay away from open flames. I have some wool but it is just too heavy.

Steve

Be aware that there are several different types of fleece that have different uses. Pile fleece is very warm, but will not block the wind at all. Windstopper fleece does a decent job of breaking a stiff breeze, but doesn't offer much in the way of insulation in truly cold conditions. I've got 4 different fleece jackets and vary them based on conditions.

Default Fleece

You want micro fiber fleece! ...tighter woven but cost a little more but better. Although wool is a little heavier, its the best for socks...ck

2nd wool for socks. Fleece socks don't work well at all.

Malden mills makes polartec aka polar fleece. There is cheaper stuff out there but in my experience you pay for it in the long run. It comes in different weights. Fleece has saved my life before. I think that it is a very good replacement for some things but natural fibers have there place too. I like smartwool long underwear. It is warm and soft, but it gets wet.

Fleece is great. Merino wool socks against the skin are the best IMO Some guys like a synthetic or silk thin liner sock. I prefer the Merino wool.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Be careful, TADGEAR's stuff is addictive! - http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gea...ger_hoodie.htm

Thumbs up

If your looking for the "Best" insulation properties in a fabric even when wet, nothing can stand up to wool.
    It is true that wool gets heavy when wet, but if you incorporate quality rain gear you should be able to mitigate this issue. King of the mountain makes a lite weight wool set called omnilight. Check it out.
    One must also consider that wool is also fire retardent. This is a big plus for me.
    That said I do own fleece and I enjoy it and use it often in conjunction with my KOM wool.

Thanks for the input guy's.

The next big leap in fleece is supposed to be "wooly fleece". Barney's has a Mountain Hardware wooly fleece pullover in stock now. It's supposed to raise the bar for fleece performance. It is fleece that's produced from natural wool fibers. The inside is pretty cuddly so the wool itch shouldn't be a problem.