Thread: illuminated dot in scope legal in ak?

Default illuminated dot in scope legal in ak?

i will be hunting moose in ak this sept with some friends of mine that live near soldotna. i was doing what most of us do before an important hunt. messing around with my gear and it dawned on me that i have an illuminated red dot in my mueller scope. i need to know if it is legal?

i called fish and game and noone could answer the question. it was also lunch time there. lol. so someone reffered me to call the troopers. the gentleman i talked to said that he "thought" i would be "ok" with this scope. i tried to be clear that this scope does not project any light, no night vision. just the red dot in the crosshairs lights up by battery power.

not my first choice in scopes. i have luepolds on other guns. i bought these from a friend that was helping mueller get their product out there. i compared these to the leupold side by side, same conditions for each and i was impressed with them. we'll see if they can hold up to the weather.

Default Scope question

Your red dot scope is legal in Alaska. If it was the model that "Projected" a light or dot on the target it would be illegal. Have a Good Hunt.

Default Read the reg book

My understanding of the rules is that if it lights your target, it's illegal. Regardless of whether it's a spotlight or a laser dot.

If it just puts a dot on the shooter's eye, you're ok.

But you're the guy who'll get cited if I'm wrong. So read the reg book: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser
    My understanding of the rules is that if it lights your target, it's illegal. Regardless of whether it's a spotlight or a laser dot.

If it just puts a dot on the shooter's eye, you're ok.

But you're the guy who'll get cited if I'm wrong. So read the reg book: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting
    i have read the reg book several times. i will be legal. i am not going to "want" to be legal or "try" to be legal. i will be. i appreciate the opportunity to hunt in alaska.

general hunting restrictions:

"YOU MAY NOT TAKE GAME BY:
    using a pit, fire, artificial light, laser sight,electronically-enhanced night vision scope, radio communication,cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, or chemical. "

the exceptions do not apply.

the box the scope came in sayes "german #4 reticle with illuminated glass dot."
    " 11 glass dot reticle brightness settings."

that is why i had my concerns. the way it is worded in the hunting regs kinda left me wondering and the "should" be "ok" left me concerned. it is nice when the rules are easy to read and not left to interpretation. lol

thanks alot for the replies. i do appreciate it.

Default Dot sights

I have a Millet Red sight on a Ruger Super Blackhawk that I use for hunting black bear over bait. It works very good especially when ones eye sight is not as good as it was 30 years ago. While sealing the bear I have taken, the people at Fish and Game had no issues with me using that set-up.
    The main things to keep in mind is that the sight you use must not project a dot on the target.
    I would use your sight and have fun with it.

thanks ak bearcat. appreciate it.

I have hunted AK four times. My understanding is: if it takes a battery - it can't be used on your weapon. Your best bet is to talk to a AK Warden. If he tells you can, write down his name, what he said, the time and date of the conversation and keep it in your wallet for back up.

Good luck.