Thread: fly fishing reels

Default fly fishing reels

Looking for the best online site to get the best deals on fly fishing reels. I'm looking for a large arbor 8-10 weight + spools. I'm looking for quality similar to the following reels: Loop, Bauer, Sage, Waterworks, Galvan, Ross.

thanks

kingfisherktn

I've found www.americanflyfishing.com has some good stuff. Sometimes Cabelas bargain basement has good stuff there too. Luckily I can just visit my local fly shop or Sportsman's Warehouse. I prefer the locally owned and operated shops though. I ALWAYS get better service so I don't mine paying a little more sometimes. Plus they know what they are doing. Good luck.

Default Ebay...

I agree with the previous post about Cabelas "Bargain Cave". On their website, look down the list on the left hand side. They have some good deals in there sometimes. They had a St Croix Legend Elite rod for $369 the other day. Sold out of almost all of them. I think they still had the 4 and 9 wts available. I have found some great deals on Ebay also. You always have to be careful on Ebay, but I have had no troubles buying fly fishing gear. Lots of fly shops are selling on Ebay also. As usual, check the seller ratings and such.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Teton/Tioga

I have always had good luck with Teton and Tioga reels (essentially the same reel but the Teton has nicer machine work). I own a few of them and they have always held up in both fresh and saltwater very well. I've bought a couple off of ebay in the last year and everything went very smoothly. I even got a limited edition in a dark blue color this past year that matches up nicely with a Sage Xi2 I am currently building. And spare spools won't cost you a fortune.

Default I have an Okuma large arbor and an Alvey...

I use a 7-8wt Okuma Magnitude Large Arbor fly reel which has stood up very well for steelhead in Oregon and for fire-cracker yellowtail. The firecrackers are smaller yellowtail which are in the 4-8# range and hit the Socal Pacific Ocean around July. They are still pretty good tackle busters.

I have also caught striped bass up to 20# in California's Lake Silverwood. The reel is really very inexpensive for fly tackle standards but has a nice smooth drag and can hold up in salt water. I use this with a 7-wt rod but, will put away this rod/reel if the fish are bigger. I don't want to stress out a fish before I return it. If you wear out a fish using ultra-light tackle in the Socal ocean - you might as well keep it because it will probably be eaten by a shark.

Although I have never used the Okuma Helios Fly Reel, I am guessing that it would be an excellent reel. My assumption is based on the quality of the Okuma Magnitude which, at $65, is less than half the price of the, Helios which runs about $140. However the Helios does come in a larger 8/9 size.

http://www.troutlet.com/Okuma-Helios-Fly-Reel-P201.aspx

Now, for a really heavy duty reel (although not a wide arbor) at a fairly reasonable price, the little known Australian Alvey 425B is a great reel that I use on a 12-wt rod. It is a bit heavy but, hell; 12-wt tackle isn't exactly light gear.

Alvey is best known for its simple, yet effective side-cast reels for surf fishing. I fished my first Alvey side cast outfits at the Norwest Cape in Australia's Outback in the 1960's and enjoyed the simplicity and the virtual in-destructiveness of these unique reels. You can drop one in the sand and literally wash it in the ocean and start fishing it with no problems. Most Yanks have never seen an Alvey side-cast reel. It is mounted on the bottom of the rod, right where a fly reel would be placed. The reel is twisted for casting and the line flows off like a spinning reel. Given the correct rod, you can cast long distances with relatively light lures/baits but, when fighting fish, you have the advantage of direct drive like on a fly reel.

When Alvey introduced the 425B fly reel, I asked an Aussie friend to bring me one from Down Under. I liked it so well on Yellowtail, Albacore and occasional Shark and Marlin (from a private boat - IMO fly casting has no place on a partyboat) that I ordered a second one (as a backup) from Campbells, an Australian tackle company. I have never needed the backup.

The Alvey has a really large capacity which comes in handy when fighting the big bruisers in the ocean. Its advertised capacity is a 10-wt line and 500 meters of 15 kg braid (that is about 546 yards of 33 pound test braid for us metrically challenged Yanks). If you simply use a shooting head attached to the running line, the capacity is even larger.

I like the fact that the handle on the 425B is separate from the spool and doesn't spin as a fish is ripping off the line. I have had far too many bruised and bloody knuckles when I inadvertently got my fingers in the way of a spinning spool handle as a 30-40# yellowtail was ripping of line. Alvey makes a more conventional 425BE with the handle on the spool for folks who enjoy their "knuckle busting fun".

http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/8.shtml

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/st...ct.asp?ID=1171

When I purchased my 425B, it cost less than $110 in U.S. currency from Campbell's in Australia (the price was then, and still is, $159 Australian Dollars). However, due to the U.S. dollar going down the toilet, the reel will run about $147 USD plus shipping. But, compared to other 12-wt capable reels, a hundred and a half isn't all bad.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 02-19-2008 at 12:15. Reason: Bunches of typos...

EBAY. Also try Sierra Trading Post. They have a smoking deal on Lamson Velocity reels. I think it is still going on.

Thumbs up

Thanks, all good suggestions.

kingfisherktn

Ross reels are priced fixed. But if you know of anyone holding a military ID card you can buy one at Mountain View Sports and then receive ( I think) 10% off the purchase price. Thats where I bought mine last year.
    Tennessee

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

Now, for a really heavy duty reel (although not a wide arbor) at a fairly reasonable price, the little known Australian Alvey 425B is a great reel that I use on a 12-wt rod. It is a bit heavy but, hell; 12-wt tackle isn't exactly light gear.

When Alvey introduced the 425B fly reel, I asked an Aussie friend to bring me one from Down Under. I liked it so well on Yellowtail, Albacore and occasional Shark and Marlin (from a private boat - IMO fly casting has no place on a partyboat) that I ordered a second one (as a backup) from Campbells, an Australian tackle company. I have never needed the backup.

The Alvey has a really large capacity which comes in handy when fighting the big bruisers in the ocean. Its advertised capacity is a 10-wt line and 500 meters of 15 kg braid (that is about 546 yards of 33 pound test braid for us metrically challenged Yanks). If you simply use a shooting head attached to the running line, the capacity is even larger.

I like the fact that the handle on the 425B is separate from the spool and doesn't spin as a fish is ripping off the line. I have had far too many bruised and bloody knuckles when I inadvertently got my fingers in the way of a spinning spool handle as a 30-40# yellowtail was ripping of line. Alvey makes a more conventional 425BE with the handle on the spool for folks who enjoy their "knuckle busting fun".
    Looks like a pretty nice reel. I found that Alvey has a USA distributor and ordered one from the web site.
    $178 delivered. Thanks for the lead. Will give it a try on Kings and Reds this summer.
    Tennessee

Default orvis?

Out of curiousity, anyone else try the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game? I got the LA V last summer, which I admit is probably overpriced ($239) but I had gift cert.s to use up. So far I only used it for a few days on Lake Erie steelhead (only about 5 lb) on my cheap Gander Mt 8wt rod - I thought the drag and everything else was great but the only thing I have to compare it to is my Okuma reel with 6 wt that I was using before.