Thread: Juneau Kings

Default Juneau Kings

How early does everyone down here start trolling for kings? Does Douglas start producing before the breadline, and Tee Harbor? Ive heard most people start in April.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

got to be areas where you can fish all year for winter kings i would think. we were just out in petersburg in january and brought one aboard and released two more.

yup the area is called petersburg...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default juneau kings

can be caught starting in april...try cordwood creek, pt. retreat, breadline and pt. bishop in that order....also doty's cove and pt. arden can be good early. By the end of april, fish cordwood, inside tee harbor and outer pt. At the start of may inside tee harbor can be awesome, especially around the dock and the old pilings. If you like to fish from shore and don't want the crowds, park at the tee harbor overlook (old glacier hwy) and just across the road on the uphill side is access to a large culvert you can walk through to access the beach. fish right below the outfall. Good luck, send me a pm if you have any other questions come to mind.

DuPont is productive year round... just hafta get farther out in the channel or farther south of the old pier (deeper water) the colder it gets.

I've picked up a few barely legal kings in Fritz Cove in Dec and Jan... none of the shallow fishing like the charter combat that goes on in May/June... middle of the cove and DEEP (last year, our shallowest January King was in 280').

I've caught nice kings during every calendar month of the year, but it took me 23 Februarys before I finally found the spot off N. Douglas. They're really all over, most of the time... it's just a matter of depth. Also, I believe the question was when to start trolling for them... answer: whenever I don't have to take a sledge to my boat to de-ice her! ;-) Oh, earlier season fishing will take MANY rod-hours, but it helps if you can fish 6 rods at a time and rack up the hours in multiples of 6!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default For the Average Joe...

...Like myself, May 1st is a good date to start fishing. Yeah, you can catch fish in April, but your odds of success really increase in May/June. I spent so many empty rod hours fishing in March/April one year that I swore I'd never fish again before May 1st. Now I leave that high rod-hour stuff to the truly dedicated, or maybe they're just better fishermen than I am.