Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in Soldotna/Kenai shoot?

Default Interest in Soldotna/Kenai shoot?

I've been mulling this idea over for a bit now. As an instructor who likes to shoot at Snowshoe Gun club as often as I can, I've been wondering if there is interest in setting a time/date for an ODD forum shoot. I'm willing to bring targets, stands, courses of fire, and my instructor's hat. Who in the Kenai/Soldotna area is interested in showing up with guns & ammo for an informal to semi-formal range session focused on self-defense shooting? I'm thinking probably in the early to mid-June timeframe after all the puddles dry up. Given a nice day, it could even turn into a picnic/BBQ if desired. Any thoughts?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'd show up providing I don't have to work.... Work interferes with all kinds of fun!

I'd be there. Sound like a fun AND informative time hehe.

Keep us informed as thing progress please.

Sounds like a great time, I'm in.

Default How about the first weekend in June?

Anyone have a pref on day of the week... friday, sat, sun?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Sounds like fun to me too. Couldn't you host it up here in Wasilla so I wouldn't have to drive so Far? I gotta work too, ya know.

No, but maybe ya'll valley shooters could do a get-together at one of your ranges.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Definitely interested!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default sounds like fun

I would love to go to a self defense session. A bbq afterwords would be a plus. Count me in

I'm up for it if time allows.
    1st weekend would probably be good for me, after that the company starts.
    As far as day of the week, Sunday doesn't work for me bacause of work (I'm a pastor) so Friday evening or Sat is best for me. Don't work it around me, but you asked
    I used to shoot a lot of IPSC,but that was years ago & a realistic self defence thing would be fun.
    I don't check these forums often enough to keep from missing things so email me if you would when you nail something down.
    And maybe agin as things get closer?

vwonser@alaska.net

Of course if we did it the last weekend of May our old keys would still work

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Keys are good until July 1st. I was thinking about staying clear of Sunday, since that is trap/skeet day already. Saturdays usually see heavier traffic, but that is the day I was leaning toward. Fridays are fine for me, but I realize there are all those 9-5 folks who wouldn't be able to do a day shoot. I'll be reserving the range through official channels for the date selected, which will also allow for locking the gate open during the shoot time frame for those who don't have keys.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Saturdays are best for me.

Default Thread bump...

Still thinking about the first weekend of June... as long as it stops snowing by then. How's Saturday June 7th sound?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Scheduling

Yeah,
    Oh, I am not certain where that range is, have a Cabin down there.
    Sounds like fun to me. There's some really great clam tides Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and not quite as good Saturday, still ok...
    Ya want some money for the work? You gotta HAT??
    I can't commit that far out, but I am going to try to get down there for the clams anyway... Gotta check Wife Schedule...
    PS, I am of coarse a good ol' Alaska Boy and am a terror on any kind of BBQ known to man, willing to contribute supervision, appetite, evaluation...bring something or even help if inescapable.....
    Thanks!
    Mark

The Snowshoe Gun Club is on the Spur Highway about half-way between Kenai & Soldotna. The drive is directly across from Beaver Loop Rd very close to Morgan Steel. The Twin-Cities raceway is located on the same access road.

As for the food & BBQ ideas, I'll need someone else to step up with the planning of that part. There is a nice BBQ installed down at the trap/skeet range that can be used. My focus is on the gun play. I'm thinking that a late morning start, perhaps 10am would be ideal.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Tentatively works for me.

Default Rsvp...

So, it looks like we have akav8r, tybsp, tyrex13, aces-n-eights, gunrman, vance in ak, and snowshooze for probable attendance. Anyone else? That's 8, which is a comfortable group, but there's room for more. Spouses and responsible older kids (at least HS age) who want to shoot are also welcome.

As for the range activities, I'm going to break out a couple IDPA style courses of fire. I'll show up early and set up ranges 1 and 2. We'll run a target line on range 2 and just do some basic drills and maybe run a qualification style course of fire. Then we'll run a multiple target scenario shoot on range 1. We can finish it all off with some head-to-head competition with some other steel targets (no armor piercing or rifle calibers on my steel please).

Bring your favorite duty or CC handgun(s) with holster(s) and as much ammo as you want to burn up (at least a couple hundred rounds recommended). Also, feel free to bring your defensive shotgun or rifle. I'm going to bring my 870 and AR-15.

I'll be formally reserving the range so that I can tag out the gate during the shoot. This will allow those without a key to get in. I'm looking at 10am until 2pm as the offical time slot.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Attendance

I 'd like to bring two others with me... One is solid, the other possible.
    Again, it is a way off but I am going to work hard to hold the schedule.
    Thanks!
    Mark

Thumbs up New group created...

With the new features of the boards they've just installed, I set up a new group called "Central Peninsula Shooters". I encourage all you Soldotna - Kenai area shooters to join it. Easy way for us to stay connected.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/group.php?groupid=1

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Let me know what I can do, i.e. show up early to help set up, bring food etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast