Thread: Elk Hunting AK

Default Elk Hunting AK

Has anyone hunted either southeast or Afognak for elk. Would like to do someday and any info would be great.

Default I'm beginning to plan a hunt

I'm planning a hunt on Afognak in 09, There have been previous posts on here about it, mostly people talking about bear problems,. but I'm still doing some investigation into it as well. I have a connection with someone in the Afognak Native Corp, so I'm hoping to hunt their land and use their cabins. If anyone has done this please share your information with me.

Default Afognak

I did a 10-day drop off Seal Bay Sept 25,2003 That turned into 13days cuz Of record rain fall..The first 4 days was great,Filled our deer tags but never did see elk,Till we flew out and of course they were on the Native land that costs about $500 to use( back in 03?) and also they were very high. And we did see alot of bears with a real close encounter with a sow and 3 cubs.. I would like to do the hunt again,but if I did I would go later in the season..Id rather deal with snow rather than rain,Plus the Elk might be alot lower??Same with the deer. And if you do go the first part of the season get droped off in one of the many high lakes,dont get droped off at sea level like we did and had to hike around 5-10mi a day

Default Elk Hunting

Not many people know, but, you can hunt elk up near hatchers pass. I personally havn't hunted them, but I have seen some really nice bulls. Might not hurt to go up and take a look. Follow the little sue downstream, on the west side. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Im4FishnAK View Post
    Not many people know, but, you can hunt elk up near hatchers pass. I personally havn't hunted them, but I have seen some really nice bulls. Might not hurt to go up and take a look. Follow the little sue downstream, on the west side. Good luck
    Thats messed up.

Default Hmmm...

Uhhh... What?

Quote Originally Posted by Im4FishnAK View Post
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Oh Yeah

Not to many people know this but you can hunt Water Buffalo off the Parks highway. Ive seen some really nice bulls.

Default snow leopards in Fairbanks

I've heard tell, that North Pole has a large population of Snow Leopards you can hunt as well.

But really, there are Elk on Afognak, also big bears and deer.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

When someone spells out "little SUE" you know immediately not to believe them!