Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which port and why?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default which port and why?

just wondering what port most go out of and there reasoning. i like to go out of whittier because the drive is short, the waters are more protected than seward or homer, there are numerous places to pull into if need be, the amount of people around my fishing holes is a minimum, the possibility of a mixed bag out of whittier is tremendous, and the scenery is outstanding. i can go further out in my boat in protected waters than seward or homer and id rather drive my boat further than my truck even though its more expensive, but as soon as im in the water and out of the port im in relax mode. always aware but the sooner im out of traffic the better i feel.

We most often fish out of Seward. Cheap lanching and parking with enough stores to buy what we need if the need arises.
    When we have the time we opt for Homer because we almost always do better on halibut. Although last time I fished Seward we found a spot 10 miles from the harbor where we nailed the halibut and ling cod one after another when drifting. Of course the lings were tossed back anyhow.
    Tennessee

Default Short Drive??

Getting on the water is quicker out of Wittier, however, the distance to good halibut is way more than Seward or Homer. The distance to and length of time silvers are available are way better out of Seward. Kings out of Homer can't be beat. On the other hand, sight seeing and shrimping out of Whittier can't be matched. Sometimes the cost of getting one thing compensates for the greater cost of getting another.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Which Port?

I first fished out of Whittier in 1985 and in those days a lot of the time it was just me and the commercial guys out on the water, there werenít any charters that I knew of, and I have fished it many times since. I had my boat moored in Homer for a few years but my favorite port is Seward. The drive isnít bad and good fishing is relatively close. Probably the best Silver fishing in the world is the Pony Cove area in July. That is just a 20 mile run which is short by PWS standards. Go a little further out and you are a way from any crowds. Taz basin is as good as it gets for a place to anchor up, better than Surprise Cove and every bit as good as Disc Island. I like PWS for the scenery and the shrimp but the fishing doesnít match Seward or Homer. Seward is a well run friendly little town and I only wish Whittier would take some lessons from them.

how you been pastor bob? do you still have those northriver seats in your boat? i hope they are serving there purpose for you.

Default Where I go

I love Whittier, the scenery, the unlimited exploring opportunites, the shrimping, the closeness but not so good fishing, not so good launch and price and anemities. I prefer Seward, good fishing beatiful scenery, less gas consumed, better servies, cheaper launch and parking, so I bought some land and built a cabin. Gives me a secure play to go, no parking issues. Cheaper to pull the boat with the truck and not the motor home. Homer, I don't have experinece yet
    :-)
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Getting on the water is quicker out of Wittier, however, the distance to good halibut is way more than Seward or Homer. The distance to and length of time silvers are available are way better out of Seward. Kings out of Homer can't be beat. On the other hand, sight seeing and shrimping out of Whittier can't be matched. Sometimes the cost of getting one thing compensates for the greater cost of getting another.
    homer is a four hour dive from anchorage plus the launch and getting to the fishing grounds (which i have no idea where is) you are looking at what? 6 hours from anchorage departure. in 6 hours i can be at green island from anchorage or anywhere from within that radius from whittier in moderate weather. further on a good day.

out of seward the distance to montegue is about the same from whittier which most people go if able and if they dont they are more exposed to the weather and less places to hide. if you stay in the bay your fishing is limited just like PWS. less gas burned but id rather burn gas and catch fish

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    homer is a four hour dive from anchorage plus the launch and getting to the fishing grounds (which i have no idea where is) you are looking at what? 6 hours from anchorage departure. in 6 hours i can be at green island from anchorage or anywhere from within that radius from whittier in moderate weather. further on a good day.

out of seward the distance to montegue is about the same from whittier which most people go if able and if they dont they are more exposed to the weather and less places to hide. if you stay in the bay your fishing is limited just like PWS. less gas burned but id rather burn gas and catch fish
    It all depends on what you like. I personally launched from all three last summer. I like Homer if i have a long weekend available. We will be staying at a public use cabin in Halibut Cove at the end of May for a couple of nights. We will site see and explore Seldovia as well as fish some halibut tides and try and see if the kings are in.

We will be in Seward end of June and July to chase some silvers. We will explore Day Harbor and Aialik Bay. I plan on making a couple of three day weekends. We will definitely run out of Whittier several times, especially if we are doing day trips, although I hate the Whittier launch especially at low tide. I think Seward is my favorite launch but probably because picking up supplies is easy and I am good friends with Mike at the Bay Barge Company shop at the North launch. Mike is a great guy who always has coffee on and is quick to share fishing spots.

If you limit yourself to one marina you are short changing your opportunities.

I will give up a spot in Seward. Last year at the end of August we boated a 140 lb butt in Bullfrog Cove near Bear Glacier. That is within 15 miles of the marina. We were the only one there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

im not really looking for this thread to debate one port over another. my last post was just pointing out some observations ive made although all have there strongpoints and downsides. many factors are involve with this question including finances, time, location and so on. to each his own, there is no right answer.

Default Distance to Montigue????

AK River Rat

The distance to Montigue from Seward is at least a 3rd less than from Whittier. You need to do a distance measurement on Google Earth or what ever you like to use. Also, much of the travel from Whittier to Montigue is significantly away from shelter. Johnstone Bay offers great fishing for silvers, ling, halibut and rockfish. This is another 3rd less in distance from Seward. The only shelter on any trip in the NGC east from Seward can be found in Bainbridge and Day Harbor. The round trip to Johnstone Bay from Seward is about 80 miles. The round trip to good fishing around Montigue from Seward is about 130 miles, maybe a few more.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

guess i spoke too soon. i came up with 68 miles one way to cape clear from seward staying relativley close to land up until just before puget bay and about 91 from whittier coming through latouche passage.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    guess i spoke too soon. i came up with 68 miles one way to cape clear from seward staying relativley close to land up until just before puget bay and about 91 from whittier coming through latouche passage.
    Your numbers look pretty close to mine. I think I got 65 miles from Seward and it is a bit more than 100 miles to the spot I frequented off the SW end of Montigue from Whittier. The NE end is a lot closer, but I never caught the big ones there or should I say I never found them. I sure liked fishing the shallows on the SW side, though. The Strait sure can get snotty when you get a wind that opposes the tide. This goes for the passages too. The waves sure stack up as the passages narrow. Oh yea. This thread is about which port. My vote is Whittier. I can leave work as the kids load the bus, hit the 4:30 tunnel, pull the shrimp pots by 5:00, and by 7 I am enjoying a nice Patron margarita on 10000 year old glacial ice! If you want to consitently catch flat fish Homer is great. You guys can have the Seward silver thing. It is fun to attend every once in a while, though. With these warm temps, I am beginning to wonder what the launch at Whittier looks like. I have a new boat to break in!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Easy

Remember the name of your boat.

Patience
    What-a-Day
    Denny

I originally started fishing out of Deep Creek in the early 90's with the old launch. I did the deckhand thing out of Seward for a summer. Now, I currently fish out of Homer regularly and occasionally take the boat to seward. Back before I was able to afford a nicer boat I would borrow a friends 16 foot inflatable. First time I took it out of Homer instead of deep creek I pulled in a 150lb halibut in 35 feet of water. I have also caught many others over 50 in under 50 feet of water. Not many other places like that. I really enjoy the harbor in Homer, most everyone is nice, have even befriended a couple of charter captains whom have given me a few of there "honey holes'' to try.

Mark

Seward and Whittier, in that order.

Seward for ease of driving access and launching, and Whittier for proximity and lots of wilderness space after launch.

Homer, Kenai, and Valdez are just too far for me for what they're worth. Homer and Kenai mean traversing the Kenai Peninsula crowd, and Valdez means traversing treacherous highway.

When the Glenn Hwy is improved between Sutton and the Matanuska Glacier, Valdez becomes more feasible.

Default Valdez

Its easier to go to Valdez by boat.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

I am a huge Whittier fan. Seward is one of my favorite Alaska towns but I prefer the boating and scenery out of PWS. Never been fishing out of homer but want to.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I go to Whittier for the first part of the summer, do the cove camping, shrimping thing, and then when I have had my fix, I switch gears and go to Seward. I start with the silvers at Pony cove and I end up following them into the habor as the summer wears on. I try to get to Homer also, but I wear a path back and forth to Whittier and Seward every weekend. I love the town of Seward, Valdez also -just to far away to make it a habit. Anyone want to go halfs on buying Whittier and fixing the town? How easy would it be to make it the most popular place in Alaska due to its proximity to Anchorage? It would be the ultimate to take a date or visting relatives on a beautiful drive followed by a nice shopping/sight seeing trip to Whittier. To get lunch or coffee at some neat little shops, or check out some cool boardwalk tourist shops, or something like a neat museum/nature center/whatever, with cool landscaping and neat buildings...HELLO WHITTIER, ANYONE HOME??? Lets just move Valdez over and drop it on Whittiers head!

I do all three.

Homer has the best docks
    Seward Cheap to luanch
    Whitter Get expensive after tunnel fee, parking and launching

If I'm serious about halibut I will go to Homer.
    Whitter like Seward offer a variety of fish.

Whitter hands down has the best scenery
    Seward
    Homer

Cleaning fish
    Seward nice cleaning station
    Homer Finally put a roof over a cleaning station.
    Whitter. They need to build a better cleaning station.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

From Eagle River..

Whittier - quickest to get on the water, good and abundant anchorages, shrimp, silvers when they're in, scenery, wildlife, better water, piss-poor facilities and prices too high for everything.

Seward - longer to get there, great facilities at good prices (can you believe the launch fee is only $5????), enjoy checking out the fish cleaning tables to see what people are bringing in, can't beat Pony Cove in July, roasted elephant garlic at Ray's, walking the docks, watching all the tourists as they ooh and ah at the scenery and fish and me reminding myself how lucky I am to live in AK and have a boat.

Homer - been a while....very long drive, generally rougher water, shorter distance to halibut grounds.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast