Thread: Looking for ATV Skid Plates

Default Looking for ATV Skid Plates

I reside in Anchorage and am looking for someone who manufactures ATV skid plates locally or in the valley. I am looking at a 2008 Grizzly 700 or a 2008 King Quad 750. Both of these have fimzy plactic skid covers (can't even call them plates). The dealers want about $600 for factory alum plates. I would like something better then the plastic but not as expensive as the alum. I think painted steel (what I've had for years on all my other ATV's) should be cheaper and from past experience work great. If you know of a source let me know.

Cabelas sells aluminum sikd plates and a arm gaurds for those two machines. Idont know if they fit 08 but they do fit 07. It looks like they run 350 to 400$. They have a shipping deal 4.95 flat rate anything over 100$ United States delivery only. The last time I checked we're still part of the US but you might want to ask them about that.

Always check the net and ebay also. Found complete skid plate bottoms for your similar wheeler for about half price here.

Also another complete under-body set here

I dont know exactly what you are looking for but if you search for any amount of time on google you'll find something cheaper than the dealer for sure. In my opinion, I like the plastic ones better. The first time you hit a stump or rock with an aluminum one, its gonna scratch and bend and dent (depending on thickness) and if the plastic bends, a lot of the times it'll come back and i'm guessing they are cheaper as well.

Thumbs up Utah Sportcycle (ricochet skid plates)

I just ordered a complete set of Ricochet skid plates for my 07 Outlander Max from www.utahsportcycle.com. They not only gave a military discount (10%) but they also shipped them via USPS intstead of UPS ground saving me about another $30. Total bill including shipping for the aluminum ricochet skids was $368.00 I can't say enough good things about this company. I e-mailed their contact (which I believe turned out to be the owner of the company) and he told me to call the order in toll free to get the cheaper shipping rate. Good to see there are still companies out there taking care of their customers. The ricochet skids also get great reviews on other ATV forums.

Hope this helps,
    Shannon

These guys make some real nice skid plates. http://www.aluminumproducts.com/site1.php

do an e-bay search for ATVCustom2007 as the seller. I bought skid plates for my Rhino and they are top quality. Paid $325 for the full set with 62.50 in shipping to get them to Alaska. Good quality and not near the price you pay around here. He can customize as needed as well. Just call.

Just make your own out of petex. Awesome stuff. It'll cost you about $200 and some garage time.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just make your own out of petex. Awesome stuff. It'll cost you about $200 and some garage time.
    I plead stupid. I don't know what petex is, could you enlighten me and perhaps a few other people?

Petex is a hi-density plastic that is virtually indestructable.Go to Image Plastics on Old Seward to find the stuff. I used 3/8" on my foreman 450 and 1/2" on my wifes 300 4x4.
    Use your imagination and some tools and its easily do-able.I used a table saw and jig saw for the cuts,a hole saw for your drain points and a forsner bit to counter sink all mounting points.Easy money and looks good if your somewhat handy.

its been 2 years since ive made one and materials cost me about 80 bucks a machine. Ask incase products have changed but has always been that the "black with the white specks" was the hardest stuff. For putting a bend in the plate towards the front just use a little heat and work it into the angle you want.Doesnt hurt to use SS bolts and some anti-sieze for mounting to ease in taking back off some day.

Good luck,I wouldnt buy a machine and use it untill doing this first personally.My 450 looks like new underneath and I've bounced of many a rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

one more of the plate on the 300.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anybody know if this Co. has thinner material that would be suitable for making mudflaps? I have been looking for some bulk plastic that I could bend and cut but have been unable to come up with anything. BTW I'm in Fairbanks.

How has it held up for the last two years?

like new under skids....my 450 has 2000 miles of hunting/riding trips on since installed.