Thread: A newbies suggestion regarding a heavyweight fly reel.

Default A newbies suggestion regarding a heavyweight fly reel.

I am a totally inexperienced Salmon fisherman but, I am a fairly adept saltwater fly chucker. I have taken numerous California Yellowtail up to 40#, any number of albacore with the largest running 45# and a 120# marlin on a flyrod. I have also boated and released several pretty large shark but, did not weigh them.

I use a 12-wt rod when I am after the big guys because I don't believe that it is in the interest of the fish that I catch to wear them out using a lighter outfit and then return them to the ocean in an exhausted condition.

I need a heavy duty, large capacity reel with a smooth drag but, I don't need to hock the homestead to buy one. I use an Australian Alvey 425B

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=1171

Alvey reels are relatively unknown in the United States and the few that have been imported are usually Alvey Side Cast types which is a unique style of reel but, not suited to fly fishing.

I was introduced to the Alvey 425B by an Australian friend who brought one for me from Australia as a gift. I used it and liked it so well that I bought another to use as a backup. The original Alvey has never gone down - so I have not used the backup but have loaned it out to guests on my boat.

At the time I bought the 425B, the U.S. dollar was very strong against the Australian dollar and the Alvey cost just over $110 USD including shipping from Campbell's.

Imagine, a fly reel that will suit the likes of albacore and yelowtail for just a bit over a hundred bucks. It is more expensive now however - since our currency has gone down the toilet but, it is still a pretty good deal as fly tackle goes.

The only down side to the Alvey is that it is a relatively heavy reel. However, it balances well on a 12-wt rod. I love the drag system and have been thrilled when a big fish rips off over a hundred yards orf line.

Sounds fine to me...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Can you tighten the drag down enough to lock it?
    Tennessee

Default Tighten Drag...

I will have to try tightening the drag down that much. I have never fished with a drag set so tight. But, if you do that, why have a drag at all? Just curious - like I said, I am unfamiliar with Alaska salmon fishing.

I did fish for amberjack on a partyboat off Florida where they used 6/0 reels and 80# test line and locked the drag down. It wasn't much fun.

BTW, I fish for striped bass in some of the California and Arizona lakes with a 7-wt rod and an Okuma wide arbor reel. I have pulled in some pretty large linesides using that rig. Of sourse, I am usually fishing from a boat in relatively open water.

Because sometimes when you snag a salmon you have to break them off when they run downstream in front of 100's of people.
    I am always interested in a spare reel and would like to know if the drag will lock up tight.
    Tennessee

Not to play stupid here, but I have to ask, why do you need to lock the drag up tight to break a fish off? (if I'm understanding it right)

It's much easier to point your rod downstream and palm it tight leaving your drag alone. And I'd be a bit safer on your equipment too.

Here is another quality low budget, but all bones big game fly reel.

http://www.salmonriveroutfittersny.com/catalog/i68.html

It is a bit more then alveys and quite a bit lighter (I have played with both). Reason for a bit more in price is the anti reverse, definatly not exspensive for the quality you are getting compared to a able tibor or some of the other 5 and 600 buck reels!

here is there actual homepage.

http://www.americanclassic.net/american/FlyReels.html

This is my next reel purchase and likely my last for the big rods. To replace a system 2 10-11 that happens to be another all bones and low budget big game reel. ALso just so happens to be one of Billy Pates back up big game reel choices if that means anything.