Thread: Bow tuning

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Default Bow tuning

I am looking for a book on how to tune compound bows. I did alot of bow hunting in michigan before I moved here and i would just take my bow to the shop when i needed to replace or tune anything. Well now i live at a remote salmon hatchery and cant just take it to the shop when it needs to be worked on. Also what tools should i invest in to work on my bow.

Default Try this one

Tuning Your Compound Bow by Larry Wise is excellent and not very expensive.

Easton Archery used to have a tuning guide on their web page too.

You also have Precision Archery by Steve Ruis and Claudia Stevenson.

As far as tool, Allen wrenches, small opened end wrenches, a screw driver with 1/4" changeable tips, any kind of square, knocking pliers, knife. Usually the small tool kits made for cars and boats have everything you need.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Tuning

The best resource you are likely to find anywhere on bow tuning can be found at http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletters.shtml, and it's all FREE!

Good luck

Also there are some great dvd on how to tune. I like this cause you can follow along with the dvd as you are tunning your bow. George Ryals just can out with a dvd a year or so ago. It also has other stuff on there about how to shoot. Lancaster Archery has good list of DVD for sale.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I just bought "Bowhunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting" by Lon Lauber for about $17 at Barnes & Noble. You can also get this book through Amazon as well. If you seach on Amazon, it will tell you what other people looked at or bought.

The book is thorugh, and it emphasizes plenty of practice and good shooting form. There is chapter dedicated to tuning and suggested tools.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 02-28-2008 at 06:50. Reason: added more

You didn't mention if you have a way of pressing your bow. Likely you do since you'll be working on it yourself. If not, Bowmaster makes a great little portable press that will work on most bows. If a split limb bow, they also have brackets that would be needed for hoyts, etc.

Several good sources of info given. Another good book thats more for tuning ourselves is Idiot Proof Archery by Bernie Pellerite.

Default Basic tools...

Not sure how #1duck made out with the advice, but the Lauber and Wise books recommended have been good references for my newbie questions at home. YouTube also can be useful source for tuning or repair instruction.

As for tools, Lauber's book includes an appendix, "Basement Bow Shop" - with lists for suggested primary, optional, advanced tools and various replacement parts worth considering keeping at home.

Of the primary tools he suggests, I'll probably look into some kind of bow press (suggested by Bowguy) next, learn how to change strings, do field repair type stuff, then paper tuning frame and tools for cutting arrows and weighing components seem like they'd be useful. The bow square for accurate bow measurements makes sense too.

Another trick to add that works well once your bow is close and lookking good on paper, is to basically lay down some tape (1" blue painters works well) in an L shape against an indoor backstop. That will get your vertical alignment to perfection, then walk back shooting against the horizontal line will pull your pins tighter

Tuning against a round dot can leave you walking arrows around the target. I thought I was fairly solid until I tried this and ended up making minor adjustments.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed