Thread: Di404

Default Di404

Just found out I got draw for a Delta cow bison permit. Was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this hunt or even been along on this hunt that can help a brother out with some information. Like most people I have never hunted bison. Will a 300 win mag be adequate. As far as access issues I have heard that you just talk to people and find out where the herd is and attempt to gain permission from landowners after you know where the animals are. I would like to get all my ducks in a row pretty soon. I don't like walking into a hunt blind. Thank you very much for any information.

Default congrats

Some suggestions...

You'll have an assigned orientation date. Pay attention to shot placement and gender identification portions. The hump can be deceiving so keep you shots low in the heart lung area. Young males and females can be tough to identify.

There are some good folks up there that will let you hunt on their land. The Schultz farm is most popular. They charge a fee but guarantee you won't be crowded by others. We did not hunt their land as they had a waiting list. We made some phone calls from the list they provide you up there of land owners. We focused mostly on property near the river. We had permission to numerous plots and while hunting them identified others we were interested in and just drove up driveways and asked. Most folks were more than happy to allow us in as long as were respectful of their land (stay out of mud holes with our vehicle and such). While driving from one place we had been hunting to another we spotted bison (somewhere near 200 of them) quite some distance out in the field of a property owner we had not talked to. The owner was home and granted us permission. Luckily he was outside at the time, because it was Thanksgiving and I would have been hesitant to knock on his door.

Silver Fox is an excellent place to stay. Near the hunting, affordable, and quite comfortable.

Not an exciting hunt until the stalk. Lots of time driving around in your truck. An ATV would be handy if the animal makes it out of the fields when shot. Otherwise you can just drive right up to butcher it. If your hunting in snow, whites might help the stalk some.

Good luck on your hunt. It is the absolute best freezer full of meat we ever had. Nothing compares.

-Carnivore

I don't believe they gave out any Delta cow permits this year. Maybe you were drawn for a bull permit, DI403.

Default Thank you

Thank you Carnivore that is exactly what I was looking for. By chance do you still have the list of landowners and if not do you think this is something I might be able to call the ADFG and request.

Default list

I don't think I have the map of land owners anymore and ADF&G will not have it either. There is a separate management organization for the Delta bison herd that sent it to us. I'm sure they'll do the same for you. It is not only a benefit for you but for the local land owners. It will list who refuses hunters on their property, who does not, and who charges. Saves them from being hassled if they don't want to. It will have phone numbers for some folks and other numbers you'll have to look up according to the name listed for the property. I did discover that there is more to the story than the sheet listed though. Some folks were not on the list and still allowed us to hunt. It was not too hard to work that out when we got up there.

We went up for the Friday orientation my wife was scheduled for and did some driving around and talking to folks that morning. After the orientation we were legal to hunt. We saw one little band of bison that Saturday but they were on the run and quickly into land clearly marked as no hunting. It was back to Anchaorage Sunday for work Monday. Went back up the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving and scored that Thanksgiving afternoon. The first weekend served more as a where can we, and do we want to, hunt more than anything else.

There was a gent who used to post here that was a big help to us with getting started. Have not seen his name in a long time unless his user name has changed. Glad to try and do the same for you.

-Carnivore

Default by the way

300 win mag is plenty of gun. That's what my wife shot. I carried a 338 for back up, but she did not give me the joy of using it. :-)

Sent you an email.

if you are worried about taking down bison check this out.
    http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/Skull/skull.htm

pretty amazing i thought. good luck with your hunt and please post pics from it.

btw, i also posted in another thread here the other day a link to shot placement etc for bison. if you need it i will get it for you.

a well placed shot will do the trick. you do not have to shoot a cannon to take a bison down.