Thread: Caines Head

Default Caines Head

What would be the earliest time frme to do this hike? I've done some research and the earliest time is April. Any other suggestions as to how early to do this hike? Thanks in advance.

FrozenMarc

I've done as much research as I can do, so it looks like I'm off on this trail 2nd weekend in April. Hopefully I'll post some pics and trail conditions afterwords.
    FM

It is doable. Careful as the rocks can become very slick...they are enough already at low tide and some freezing morning temps. Have a great trip and as I am sure that you it a very nice place.

Default Caines Head

Seward is behind in the snow melting this Spring. We have been getting snow the last three weeks and still have mountains of it in town. You can see snow along the shores all the way out the bay. That trail and trip may be okay in two weeks when you are talking but right now it would be cold with lots of snow!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I talked with my hiking buddy and we are both geared up and ready to role!
    FM

Default your crazy

what the hell makes you think you can hike that far? Are you sure your in shape to make that long hike. Its also scary the amount of bears back in those woods. might consider taking a buddy that is slower than you and has a harry back which might immulate another bear.Good luck !!!!!!!

Default Thanks for the laugh!

I might be older than you but I can still out work/ hike you any day that your up for it daywalker! And please don't bring Sam into this, I don't need to see anything resembly a bear...even if he is slow and hairy...might just have to show him my 44 and take the dogs out for a walk

FM

Default Trip report

My friend and I did the trip last weekend. Drove down friday, found the trailhead parking lot full of snow, couldn't get the car over the burm at the turn off...Should have brought the truck. Anyway, despite this omen, started our hike.. Beautiful day, some wind but from our backside going south. Thankfully someone(or a buch of someones) had broken trail through the snow to Tonsinia Creek. Once past that the beach provided great walking all the way out to Caines Head. Pitched camp on the beach, explored a little and went to bed dreaming of getting to the fort on Sat. Sadly, that was not to be the case, we didn't pack snowshoes and didn't want to post hole it on an unknown(to me) trail to the fort. The wind aslo kept me up, about every hour or so the tent would shake violently and it sounded like someone was throwing rocks at the side of the thing. Very windy and cold in the morning, even with the sun shining bright. We decided to hike back and try it again later after the snow melts.
    One other problem was getting around the last point to Derby cove. With the wind, the low tide didn't give a clear path around the rocks and ended up getting wet to the knees. Not a big deal, but kind of scary as you can't see around all the rocks. We waited till absolute low tide and just timed it right with the waves. I think the weather radio said 55 mph winds with gust to 70mph. Sure was windy
    Other than that, it was great to get out in the sun, do some hiking and still had a blast, despite not getting to the fort.

Marc