Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

I'll be arriving at my place in Peters Creek the end of June. I hunt for meat so sheep and goat probably won't be on the list this year. Know NOTHING about the seasons and permits, draws, tags, etc. What should I be putting in for and what are the deadlines? I expect I'll be more interested in game units close to my Peters Creek stomping grounds, but would travel several hundred miles for a good hunt. Any help you could give, including links or phone #'swill be greatly appreciated! I'd hate to find out I missed a good hunt because I hadn't filed on time...

Default Huge topic!

Quote Originally Posted by FORTUNATESON View Post
    I'll be arriving at my place in Peters Creek the end of June. I hunt for meat so sheep and goat probably won't be on the list this year. Know NOTHING about the seasons and permits, draws, tags, etc. What should I be putting in for and what are the deadlines? I expect I'll be more interested in game units close to my Peters Creek stomping grounds, but would travel several hundred miles for a good hunt. Any help you could give, including links or phone #'swill be greatly appreciated! I'd hate to find out I missed a good hunt because I hadn't filed on time...
    Drop me a PM and let's see if we can narrow this down a bit.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Research

Get yourself some hunting regulations and start reading.

I live about 5 miles from where you will be moving, so if you'd like to meet up once you get up here to look at some maps, the regulations, permit options and such, I'd be happy to do so. The coffee is on me!

The next round of drawing permits takes place in May. The supplement (list of available hunts) comes out in late April or early May, and the application deadline is May 31. You'll mainly be looking at applying for moose and caribou permits during that application period, and possibly bison as well if you're so inclined.

Sheep and goat are out of the picture for you for next year, though not just for the reasons you mentioned. Non-residents must be accompanied by a guide to hunt sheep, goats, or brown (grizzly) bear. You'll need to live here for a full year before you qualify as a resident, even though you're intending to stay from day #1. As such, you'll also have to buy a non-resident hunting license during your first year up here and also pay the non-resident fees for big game tags.

Alaska's regulations can be moderately confusing, so I highly recommend that you spend some time reading them. The hunting regulations can be found here, while this link will give you some idea of what you'll need in the way of licenses and their associated costs.

On another side note, there are lots of options for moose hunting and a few for caribou if you don't draw a permit. Most hunts are over the counter, so don't get discouraged if you don't win a drawing permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I live about 5 miles from where you will be moving, so if you'd like to meet up once you get up here to look at some maps, the regulations, permit options and such, I'd be happy to do so. The coffee is on me!

The next round of drawing permits takes place in May. The supplement (list of available hunts) comes out in late April or early May, and the application deadline is May 31. You'll mainly be looking at applying for moose and caribou permits during that application period, and possibly bison as well if you're so inclined.

Sheep and goat are out of the picture for you for next year, though not just for the reasons you mentioned. Non-residents must be accompanied by a guide to hunt sheep, goats, or brown (grizzly) bear. You'll need to live here for a full year before you qualify as a resident, even though you're intending to stay from day #1. As such, you'll also have to buy a non-resident hunting license during your first year up here and also pay the non-resident fees for big game tags.

Alaska's regulations can be moderately confusing, so I highly recommend that you spend some time reading them. The hunting regulations can be found here, while this link will give you some idea of what you'll need in the way of licenses and their associated costs.

On another side note, there are lots of options for moose hunting and a few for caribou if you don't draw a permit. Most hunts are over the counter, so don't get discouraged if you don't win a drawing permit.
    Thanks much! Ill take you up on that cofee. looks like I need to start filling out some paperwork NOW to make the MAy deadline. THAT's what I needed to know. I've hhad bisonn inMontana and its good eating. Moose f course, but no caribou. Expect it would be similar to elkk? Are there bison and/or caribou in the Peters Creek area? I'll get busy studying the links provided.

Are there bison and/or caribou in the Peters Creek area? I'll get busy studying the links provided.
    Nope. The closest caribou hunting is about a 2 hour drive from Peters Creek, though it is a tightly regulated area that you will not qualify to hunt under the current laws. (Hunts with the Tier II classification are resident-only, and for the close caribou hunts typically only residents who have been hunting the area for 20+ years qualify). There are also caribou 2 hours to the south on the Kenai Peninsula, but that is a drawing permit only hunt with difficult access and low success rates.

Bison are only located in a handful of spots, none of which are near Peters Creek. Most hunters apply for bison permits yearly, but less than 1% win a permit.

The closest hunting opportunities for you will be moose and black bear. You do need to be aware, though, that game densities in Alaska are considerably lower than most areas in the lower 48. Some new Alaskans find themselves very discouraged when they don't see multiple moose per day or when they have to hunt a few years before making their first harvest. Success can certainly be found, but keep your expectations realistic.

I'm not a trophy hunter and if given a choice between a 1 0r 2 year old moose and a trophy with huge rack, I'll take the young one every day. In other words, I'm not picky. I've taken people hunting who pass up beautiful elk because they didn't like the rack. Everyone's different and I don't think less of trophy hunters, but I'm very thankful for whatever I end up with. We lived in a grizzly habitat in Montana for 13 years and my family was never fond of bear meat, even though I enjoy a young smoked ham. My wife did love rendering the lard though. If moose and young black bear is all that's on the menu in Peters Creek, so be it. The last 6 months in Oregon is the first "supermarket" meat my kids have ever eaten and I'm anxious to change that habit as quickly as possible! What is your FAVORITE Alaskan game to have on the dinner table?

What is your FAVORITE Alaskan game to have on the dinner table?
    My favorite meat is dall sheep, followed by blacktailed deer, moose, and caribou. I'd list bison near the top as well, but it's such a rare thing to win a permit that I consider it more of a rare treat. Although moose isn't my #1 choice, it's still excellent meat. Like yourself, I prefer the young ones. Most open moose areas require you to shoot either spike/fork bulls (1.5 year olds), or mature bulls with 50" wide anters or 3/4 brow tines on at least one side. Though I'd like to take one truly large one someday, I am very excited when I get a chance at a spike. Those young bulls are excellent table fare. The backstrap off a spike is truly among the most tender and tasty pieces of meat out there. As for black bear, spring blackies are excellent as well.

Just so you're clear on what to expect - there is little hunting to be done right there in Peter's Creek. You'll typically be driving at least an hour to get into hunting areas, though there are a few exceptions to that. Having an archery certification does open up some moose hunting close to home, but still the majority of your opportunities will likely include something of a drive.