Thread: 20' skiff out of valdez?

Default 20' skiff out of valdez?

i've been considering a move. possibly to valdez. it would be down the road a bit though. my boat is a 21' open skiff w/ prop outboard. from what i've read there's good silvers fishing right near town. is this a good sized boat for hunting /fishing/ recreating out of valdez? any other info folks have on valdez would be appreciated. i've not found much community info on the web.

Default Skiff out of Valdez

There are a lot of people that use skiffs in Valdez. They go out to Port Fidalgo
    to their cabins. When the silvers are in there are a lot fishing in the harbor. You just have to watch the weather and go accordingly. Good bear hunting in the Port and in Jacks Bay. Get your self a good maping GPS and make sure you know where the terminal security area is.
    On my web site go to the contact page I have listed several places with additional information in the links section that may help you. http://www.fishvaldez.com
    Good Luck with the hunting and fishing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Good information

thank you for the reply. i'll have a look at your website and the links too.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

my experiances out of valdez are with a 14 foot smokercraft. once we bear hunted out of jacks and galena bays and we had to make two trips to haul all the gear and gas. we had relatively good weather all the way through the trip but we ended up burning a set of the truck keys in one of the tents that we decided was unworthy. thats another story.

the next time i was working on the hospital there and we had run ins with the coast gaurd for being in the terminal zone TWICE. the first time we cut through and had no idea, the weather was ****ty three to four footers and i was quartering the waves to compensate and it took my right in the zone. we got off on a warning and went about our business. a couple days later we were on our way back and cut the bouy again without knowing and this time we got a grand tour of the cutter and a special talking to from the captain. man my boat looked small tied up next to that cutter.

anyway a 20 foot skiff will do fine out there if you are aware of the weather just make sure you stay to the starboard on the way out and the port on the way in . oh and some electronics always are a plus too.

a free tour of the cutter is better than a 200,000 fine

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

yea turns out the cutter was up here from my home town petersburg and that broke the ice between me and the capt. he was a nice guy anyway and new that we meant no harm, jsut trying to get a little fishing in.

Default Valdez Security Zone

You may want to put these into your GPS as waypoints:

Shoreline near Sawmill Creek:
    N 61 05.060' W 146 25.700'

NW Corner Zone Marker Bouy:
    N 61 06.000' W 146 25.700'

NE Corner Zone Marker Bouy:
    N 61 06.000' W 146 21.500'

Shoreline near Allison Creek:
    N 61 05.100' W 146 21.500'

You can stop at the harbormaster's office and pick up the USCG handout that defines this and the narrows zone as well as all the rules about operating near oil tankers, etc.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!