Thread: M 94 Rebarelled

Default M 94 Rebarelled

Has anyone ever rebarelled a winchester or marlin lever action to another caliber from a 30-30 platform? Probably not a good idea huh! Too expensive and whatever. The idea seems like the action originally used is specific to that which it was intended for. How about any other caliber such as the 44 mag or 45 lc action of the leveraction?

Default Mdl 94 rebore

The .32 Win Spl is the idea chioce or you could move on up to the .38-55 if the barrel is thick enough.

The link is on my other computer but one outfit advertises that they will rebore, re-rifle, re-chamber, and re-mark for $299.

Probably cheaper to just buy a new barrel - or new rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Has anyone ever rebarelled a winchester or marlin lever action to another caliber from a 30-30 platform? Probably not a good idea huh! Too expensive and whatever. The idea seems like the action originally used is specific to that which it was intended for. How about any other caliber such as the 44 mag or 45 lc action of the leveraction?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Yes it has been done quite frequently and in years past some of the more popular were to simply re-chamber to 30/30 Ackley Improved. 7-30 Watters was also quite popular in its day and would make a good Caribou cartridge. 38-55 can also be done, but this cartridge is currently available in Marlin rifles I think. Pretty much anything that is based off of the 30/30 case is an option except the 375 Winchester that generates far too much pressure for the standard 94 action. And besides you can still find 94 Big Bore rifles in 375 Win for reasonable prices that would be less expensive than all the custom work to make one.
    You could re-barrel a Marlin 444 to 375 JDJ and that would be exceptionally “cool” but there just aren’t that may suitable bullets for the JDJ in a tube magazine.
    I have thought about doing a 25/35 Improved for a pseudo varmint gun kind of thing but….
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Winchester 94

Considering that Mdl 94s are no longer made, even the common Post 64s can only go up in value. So, unless yours is a beater or you just have to do it, perhaps leaving it be and getting one already chambered in the caliber you want, either Win or Marlin, might be advisable. Just my 2 cents worth.

Over the years I've had a couple of Marlin 1895's rebarreled to wildcats and a Win 94 rebarreled from 30-30 to 38-55. It wasn't cheap, but I got what I wanted out of the deals. Start with a cheap pot-64 94 and with the extra money for a new barrel, I got a great shooter for less than I would have paid for an original 94 in 38-55. Seemed like a good deal at the time, and still measures up today. It shoots better than any original I ever saw, on the rare occasions the owner would even be willing to shoot them. Meanwhile I shoot the heck out of mine with a clear conscience. How can anything be better than that?

Default 94 rebarreled

What comes to mind is the 307 Win, the 480 Ruger and lastly the 500 S&W on the 94 action. The 480 and 500 would seem to offer a some challenges as to which action would hold up to the pressures in the application. I saw somewhere and read that the Winchester 94 once offered a 480 Ruger in their line. What kind of velocity could you expect from the factory ammo from the 480 Ruger and 500 S&W?

BTW-

If you're worried about a newer model becoming a collector someday, and therefore shouldn't be rebarreled, don't lose any sleep over it. Just hang onto the original barrel, and it can be restored at any time in the future.

Default 94

The 307 and the 500 S & W would require the "Big Bore" action as the operating pressure of both exceed the rating of the Standard 94. The 500 would also need a larger diameter mag tube. The 32 Spl in an AI version would be interesting.

Good Luck with the project!

Default decided

After some thought I decided to look for the .307 or the .356 caliber lever gun already produced in the 94 action and not chop any of my leverguns. I guess all I need is to look for one and see if any show up at any of the gun shows or forums in our great state, Alaska. Thanks for everyones help. PM me if anyone has any leads, no rush as I am awaiting the much talked about rebate from our govt. What a better way to spend our $ rebated from the feds.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Rufus,

I am also on the hunt for Big Bore 94’s and can tell you that your best bet is to consistently check Gunbroker.com for availability. I did manage to pick up a BB 94 in 375 Winchester at the last Palmer gun show and to my amazement there were two of them there. I walked around a bit too long deciding on which one I wanted as they were priced pretty close, and by the time I had decided, the one I “picked” had already sold, so I scurried back and snagged the other one. Ballistically the 375 Winchester is the least desirable of the three, however it is by far and away the best looking in my opinion because it was the first one offered and most do not have that hideous cross bolt safety with the giant ass “dimple” in the side of the receiver, and they have the strait comb stock instead of the high rise comb found on most of the 356, and 307 Big Bore’s. That said, at least some of the BB 356 rifles were made without the cross bolt safety but I think (not sure) that they were all angle eject. Don’t know about the 307 but suspect the same. No matter, they are all exceptionally cool and would make for a great addition to any collection! The bad news is the current prices………..375’s are by far the least expensive, but can still run anywhere from $450 to about $900, the 307’s seem to be the more scarce of the three and you should be prepared to fork out $800 and up for one. The 356’s tend to demand nearly as much but are far more common in my experience.

Of course there are some other interesting lever gun and cartridge combinations out there that may interest you, but many are priced beyond my reach. Winchester 88’s are an interesting lever gun that is still fairly reasonably priced if chambered in 308. Savage 99’s in 30/30 and 300 savage are another option but prices vary considerably depending on condition and model. Don’t over look the Browning BLR as they are available now as current production arms, and come in many interesting calibers. I personally much prefer the older steal receivers with the magazine that extends below the action and have been looking for one in 358 Winchester to add to the battery.

Best of luck
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

AlleninAlaska has a 94AE in 356 listed for sale in the classified ads on this site right now. Punch here for details. Heck, when you consider the price of ammo these days, that stack of ammo he's including in the sale comes close to making the gun free.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by t-w-t View Post
    The 307 and the 500 S & W would require the "Big Bore" action as the operating pressure of both exceed the rating of the Standard 94. The 500 would also need a larger diameter mag tube. The 32 Spl in an AI version would be interesting.

Good Luck with the project!

The pressure of the 500 S&W far exceeds that used by the Winchester 94 BB. The Winchester BB 94 will take about 52,000 PSI and the 500 S&W is a 60,000 + PSI cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    After some thought I decided to look for the .307 or the .356 caliber lever gun already produced in the 94 action and not chop any of my leverguns. I guess all I need is to look for one and see if any show up at any of the gun shows or forums in our great state, Alaska. Thanks for everyones help. PM me if anyone has any leads, no rush as I am awaiting the much talked about rebate from our govt. What a better way to spend our $ rebated from the feds.

Don't know if you're still looking for a 307 or 356 Win. I have a new, factory 356 Win bbl, and I live in Dillingham, AK.

Lou