Thread: Ice fishing tips for pike

Default Ice fishing tips for pike

Hey guys I've done a lot of pike fishing back in Wisconsin through the ice but we always use shiners with our tip ups. Wondering what you guys use up here since you cant use live bait. Wondering if you still use tip ups or if you jig for 'em. Also any spots in the Fairbanks area would be greatly appreciated.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

dead herring, chunks of whitefish, jigging plastics or big spoons seems to work around here. minto flats is good for pike, never been there but thats what i hear.

wondering how people get to minto flats this time of the year. Ive been down there in the summer going in on the chataniqua (sorry about the spelling) by jet boat. Do people take Snowmobiles down the river or is there another way to get there by walking or driving a vehicle?

Thanks for the advice, I'll try some of that on Monday.

You need a special permit to Ice fish on Minto Flats, go to Fish and Game and ask at the counter. You will need a snowmachine.
    Tim

Just set your tip ups with cut or whole smelt, herring, or sardines...I use a quick strike rig with two trebles tied in a y using tyable leader material (30 lb). When jigging, use spoons, or plastics and tipping them with a little piece of bait can really make the difference when the pike are slow. 10 to 14 pound test and a decently stiff rod are all ya need, enjoy. And don't think too hard, pike are pike no matter where you go, but I have noticed (as a Wisconsin native myself) that there tends to be an evening bite here that I don't recall when I fished the midwest and canada so leave the boards in until dusk...it can pay off with one super hot hour. Same goes for first light...not sure why but it's a definite reality.

Default pike

i have done alot of pike fishing in the state and hooligan or hering is the best right next to pike belly and liver. I always bring a pack of hering to start off the day and by the end im using just pike liver and pike belly. have caught 30-40 pike in a day when the people right next to me only caught 10 or 15. the other thing is the more it moves the better. tip ups that have the little wind flap on them for jigging are best but they are also hard to keep working if the get tweaked the quit and you will never get them right again.