Thread: Fishing spots revealed! -NOT

Default Fishing spots revealed! -NOT

I've asked my cousin and father countless times, both life long mariners and Charter Captains, if they would give me some coordinates from there "black book" of fishing hot spots. This is the response I generally get; They have logs of coordinates in books and in there head. The main thing is the fish move and it is called fishing for a reason, although they always come home with all there fish, some days are easier than others. The biggest trick is to go where everyone else is, this is no secret. Believe it or not the charter boat guys spend a huge amount of time on the radio talking about how there day is going and you can find many boats in one area during the bite. Clusters of boats in the middle of the ocean is a good thing for catching fish, MORE BAIT attacting fish! Odds of a feeding frenzy taking off with halibut with all the smell in the water is good. The first instinct an angler has is to hide his hot spot, for trout fishing probably a good idea. The rivers become a combat situation and the fishing doesn't improve either way with a huge crowd, it just gets annoying. Salmon in the Ocean school up and travel, you can stick your nose in the water and catch em' with twenty people by your side if the bite is on. But, halibut and sharks need a dinner bell! I agree that if you advertise your fishing hot spots expect a crowd next weekend. I've spoken with guys who won't give specifics on where they are catching halibut near Montague for fear of attracting a crowd, and others who try to draw you a map of the exact spot. Hearing where the right area to go is helpful, following other boats to the spots is also helpful, but really nothing beats experience and what is actually happening with the bite at any spot on any day. "Should have been here yesterday!"

Personally, it pisses me off to no end when I'm parked many miles off Anchor Point in a hundred square miles of halibut territory and I have a half dozen guide boats show up and park around me, just because I'm catching. Lot's of water out there boys, give us some room... first come, first served.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Have that happen to me. First season I shot a halibut in an hour I had 3 boats that were about a mile from me end up next to me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default care less

If I am anchored and fishing for halibut I could care less if another boat anchors up and fishes near me, as long as it is a safe distance. Halibut move around and I only catch the ones close to my boat. A good ling cod area can only take so much fishing pressure so if you have one feel free to send it to me so I can see if it is good.

I don't mind boats around me. It's kinda of a security (feel good) blanket. Just incase anything was to happen on my boat or someones elses we can help out.

I have friends that will fish next to me and I don't mind. Also had some other boats if they could fish next to me. I said sure. That ended up being a good day. We talked to each other and that night we all had a big fish fry.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile

Having people around you is a good barometer on how the fishing is. I enjoy watching the action and checking out the boats, if we are all catching fish its even better.

There is a proper way and a rude way in moving next to another boat
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yes, friends and other locals are fine to fish by... it's the guide boats that bug me, and the ones who move in on your position always seem to be the rude people.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    There is a proper way and a rude way in moving next to another boat

AK Gray,

You couldn't be more on the money. I NEVER pull up to another boat unless they invite me to do so. In Seward, the unwritten rule is a minimum of 1/4 along side or in front of another boat and NEVER behind another boat. The exception is silver salmon fishing.

I am fine with a pleasure boat with a couple of guys on it anchoring even closer. They can only catch so many fish. However a big cabin cruiser with 7 lines in the water or several private boats piling on to a waypoint really does effect out fishing.

All you have to do is call and ask how close is too close. I will usually tell the guy which side will be better and how close to anchor.

I would think a few private boats fishing near each other wouldn't mess each other up too bad. When I have 14 lines in the water, I really do need the space for two reasons first, I want my clients to have their shot at catching fish and second, I they are choosing to fish in a big ocean to get away from the rest of life where they have people all around them.

Being that I have run roughly 1600 full fishing trips from Seward... I have seen enough to know.

Just give a call and ask before you drop your anchor.

Default Akcapt...

as an aside, how the heck do you fish with 14 lines in the water? I'm assuming this must be on the "big" boat and you can spread people out around the boat? When fishing in CI, we often tangle with 5 or 6 lines in the water (6 pack boat), but I think that has a lot to do with how hard the tide runs. It kinda seems that all the lines end up in the same location once everything hits bottom (halibut fishing).
    When do you start running trips?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default Fish Spot

I believe the fishing spot belongs to the boat that is sitting on the spot. There is plenty of room out there for every one. I will not pull up to you nor do I want you next to me. I go fishing to get away from people. With the advent of GPS, Radar Plotters, and depth finders you can move your curser over the individuals position with your Radar on and get the GPS position so you can come back later and fish that spot your self. A few years back I had a boat follow me for a whole day. Every time I would stop an anchor he would pull up behind my stern about 100 ft away and start fishing. I moved about 10 tens and this guy would follow me. The last place I stopped was just off of Rocky Point near Galina Bay in about 900ft of water. I told the guys on board to act like we fishing and they dropped their lines down about 10 ft. My friends on the other boat assume that we where fishing and they too dropped their lines. We sat there for about 10 minutes when the other boat pulled up along side of me and asked What the hell are you doing we do not even have enough line on the reels to hit bottom. We are just taking a break and not really fishing.

Default I love it!

CaptainDD:
    I love your solution to the pesky follower. Enginuity combined with a Sense of Humor has resolved many an irratating situation. Some people are prone to vet outwardly with anger. People like you....get their point across with a crooked grin...

I can see them now justa' crankin' & a crankin" them lines back up...