Thread: Win. Mdl 94 in .450 Marlin

Default Win. Mdl 94 in .450 Marlin

Saw one sell today at Great Northern Guns for $995.

I missed it the rack when I walked by, then the next guy saw and bought it.

Is this the market price on these? I'd love to have one but $995 seems a bit steep to me.

I keep wondering if FN will being these back. The Mdl 94 look too popular to die.

Default '94 in .450 Marlin.

You may be lucky you passed it by. From what I have seen, the recoil is like a .458 Lott, and the accuracy is horrid. But I guess that in the brush with something furry, we don't care.
    Jack.

Default stronger than Marlin

I read an article a few weeks back that the new 94's can take quite a bit more pressure than the Marlins , fellow claimed that he hit 2500 fps with a 300 gr slug out of 94 chambered for .444 . The 94's are awfull tough to look at in my book , what we call a canoe gun , if it falls in you don't care that much .

The 450 Marlin has exactly the same ballistics as the old 458 x 2 inch American. The 458 2 inch American was a 458 Winchester brass cut down to 2 inches so it would work in a regular Mauser action.

Marlin took the idea and moved the belt up on the case. That is because some lawyer decided that you could take a 2 inch American round and chamber it into a 300 Win Mag chamber.

So they moved the belt up so that it will not chamber into one of the longer magnum chambers.

It is a very snappy cartridge as far as recoil is concerned. Due to the less than perfect ergonomic designs of most lever guns, it becomes down right punishing.

A Bull Moose or Brown Bear will not be able to tell the difference if you shot him with a 405 grain bullet from a 45-70 handloaded to 1900 fps or a 450 Marlin going a couple of hundred feet per second faster.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You did a good job on passing that rifle up. Way too much!

Default Power - and size -to weight ratio

I wouldn't have bought it at that price and I don't think they would in a position dropped the price any if at all.

It is a handy compact rifle with a good bit of punch for the size and weight anyway you look at it. The open sights should work well as is for a close up bush gun and I like a hammer instead of a safety myself. I'm not a fan of lever guns to carry but the Win. 94 does carry well with the flat action. I don't know the weight of it but it didn't seem too heavy.

It would without a doubt kick like heck - but like my 329 S&W - I wouldn't be buying one for causal shooting. I would shoot enought light loads to become totally comforatable with it and enough heavy loads to learn to handle the recoil for a second or third shot.

Anybody else see any of these for sale and what they go for now days?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The 450 Marlin has exactly the same ballistics as the old 458 x 2 inch American. The 458 2 inch American was a 458 Winchester brass cut down to 2 inches so it would work in a regular Mauser action.

Marlin took the idea and moved the belt up on the case. That is because some lawyer decided that you could take a 2 inch American round and chamber it into a 300 Win Mag chamber.

So they moved the belt up so that it will not chamber into one of the longer magnum chambers.

It is a very snappy cartridge as far as recoil is concerned. Due to the less than perfect ergonomic designs of most lever guns, it becomes down right punishing.

A Bull Moose or Brown Bear will not be able to tell the difference if you shot him with a 405 grain bullet from a 45-70 handloaded to 1900 fps or a 450 Marlin going a couple of hundred feet per second faster.

The regular Mauser already takes a 30-06 length case. So why wouldn't the 458 Winchester already fit as it already fits in a 30-06 length receiver?

The regular Mauser already takes a 30-06 length case. So why wouldn't the 458 Winchester already fit as it already fits in a 30-06 length receiver?
    Sure the FN Mausers made for the Columbians worked with a 30-06, after having a notch cut in the front receiver ring and a little work on the magazine box. But I have a couple 1930s DWM M-98s that the 30-06 won't fit without a little work. Plus not all Mausers are full length, like the Yugo M-48s and the Mexican Mausers.
    I have no idea what Barnes was thinking in 1962 when he developed the round. Maybe he was thinking of the overall loaded length. A real 458 Mag goes to 3.3 to 3.5 inches when loaded with a 500 grain bullet. The 458 American is 1/2 inch shorter. So it would be closer to the 3.1 inch COL that the 7MM and 7.92x 57mm actions were designed for.
    Maybe he was thinking of an even short action..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Unless you shoot a bunch already...

I wouldn't recommend taking out the Model 94 for shooting more than a few rounds. With that mentioned I have shot from 20-40 rounds at a session on multiple occasions, getting used to the whack. It is a very light gun that increases the punishment with every pull. Don't think that you're going to just "man-up" and take the recoil--your shoulder won't survive! There are few ways to develop more of a flinch, and faster, than shooting too many rounds out of this rifle...but I haven't found 'em yet.

With that said, I have less concern about tromping through the alders with "Chief Thunder!" in my hands. BTW, "Chief" is quite accurate and no, he's not for sale!

Default Definition of recoil is a matter of personal opinion.

I own a Model 94 Timber in .450 Marlin (think Marlin GG, only smaller) and I define the recoil as "brisk" or "invigorating" (but then again I enjoy shooting my .375 Ultra Mag from the bench).

My friends have described the recoil as like "being in a train wreck" or "having a bus fall on you".

The ported barrel really reduces muzzle jump, it's more the concussion from the muzzle blast that you notice.

As far as that price goes, MSRP was $675 (if I remember correctly). I don't think the halt in production would affect the used market that much. I won the gun at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet, so I didn't actually buy the gun.

If I were to go buy one, knowing what I know now, I would probably get a Marlin GG (the new ones without the porting) in .45-70. You can always buy "souped up" loads from Garrett and Buffallo Bore (or handload), and there is an incredible amount of factory loadings available.

My friend has one and it's much nicer to shoot (of course it weighs about 3/4 of a pound more) than my Model 94.

Default Amen to that!

***My friends have described the recoil as like "being in a train wreck" or "having a bus fall on you".***

LMAO! I've had buddies hand it back and say, "Don't EVER hand that to me EVER again..." And they were not kidding! And that is just shooting factory blammo.

Seriously, though: They're cool little shooters. You just have to be willing to accept the recoil. And I think that it's actually gotten better over time