Thread: Marlin 45/70 Pet Loads

Default Marlin 45/70 Pet Loads

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have been reloading for a few years. I have me a Marlin guide gun in 45/70 and just picked up some RCBS dies and don't know what is a great POWDER for that round. I prefer something that burns clean. Any suggestions, and what is your favorite loading for it. Thank-you

Thumbs up Reloader 7

Reloader 7 @ 51.0 and the 350 grain Hornady FN will handle everything in the interior AK.

The Speer 350gr FP is excellent also and perhaps the best, but requires seating deep or rifle modifications to make it work.

Also, I will be shooting mostly hard-cast 405 grain bullets.
    Thank you Bushman for the advise on the 350 grain. Does reloader 7 handle the 405's just as well?
    I read a lot of advise for different powders, but prefer to listen to real shooters advise more than some person at a desk. thanks

RL7 is one of the best all around powders for the 45-70 in my book. It handles a wide range of bullet weights well, and yes, it's my pick for the 400/405 grain.

I don't push my loads over "book" max as is popular with many folks. I will say that with either the Speer 400 or the Remington 405 and book max for Marlins, you'll have no regrets about performance on game. Recoil is more moderate, while the game won't know the difference from faster, high pressure loads.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

The magazine “Handloader” August 2007 issue No. 248 has a huge amount of load data for the 45/70 and they are broken down by pressures all the way up to 43,500 CUP. I am not inclined to type out the specific loads as I am afraid of a typo or omission on my part. But I will say that Reloader 7, H-322, IMR-4198, IMR-3031, AAC-2015BR and VV-N133 are all listed as suitable powders for high end loads.

I personally use Reloader 7 and am getting 2000 fps with Remington cases, Winchester primers and RCBS 45-405 cast bullets out of my guide gun. I consider this a maximum load and the recoil is quite stout. A good starting load for this combo would be 44 grains of Reloader 7, however the load data specifies Star line brass, and WRL primers, RCBS 45-405 cast bullet, and is listed as producing around 1735 fps, and less than 28,000 CUP.

Please note that typical excessive pressure signs, i.e. flattened primers, hard extraction and the like, do NOT become apparent until you have far exceeded the yield strength of the Marlin rifle. Your best indication of pressure will be achieved velocity so a chronograph is a necessity when working up safe maximum loads for the guide gun in my opinion. As always, be alert and double check this load data against your published data as i may have made an error in typing.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I was so happy with h322, I never messed with anything else. Starline brass, h322, 405gr kodiaks or rem bulk bullets. Just about perfection.

Default Me too.........

54 frains of H322 fills up the case and that probably helps to keep them 405 gr. Kodiak bullets from sitting back during recoil. I use Win. brass and heard Starline is good. If I was in Africa I might look at cast bullets for hunting.

Default 45/70

How about 400 grn. speer 50grn. 3031