Thread: Suggestions for clear finish

Default Suggestions for clear finish

Need two clear finish suggestions

#1. I'm putting 1x6 TnG in my cathedral ceiling in my cabin. The wall has some big windows in it for light, so I'm looking for a clear finish with a UV blocker in it to keep fading, darkening, etc. in check.

#2 The cabin has beveled cedar for siding. I'd like a clear finish with a UV blocker again to keep it from fading, darkening, etc..

I'm thinking water based on the inside and oil based outside. Good idea or not?

I want to stick with clear finishes to highlight the wood and not cover it.

Thanks!

Ken

Ken

I'ld ask SBS. I know corny, but that is what I did for my cedar front. They have some great products. I used the Timberland stuff over 25 year old cedar. I won't go into how to remove the old stuff as you are using new wood.

I like the satin, I applied it with a brush. 3 coats. My friends and neighbors all approve. It has depth and is great looking.

If you don't like yellow wood, use a color for the first coat. They have samples (little cans to test with). It is not cheap stuff.

Luckily, I'm putting on and not taking off.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Antone else got any thoughts?

Check a water-base (acrylic) floor finish called Varathane. It's expensive, but works very well on wood floors. I have no idea if it's what you are looking for, but is worth a look. I like the sating Varathane, but most people like a gloss to semi-gloss finish. The satin finish does no reflect light, so a properly applied layer can be seen. All you see if the wood grain, like nothing is on top. Varathane looks milky in the can, but once applied it dryes completely clear.

The one thing is do not skimp on the quality of the product. Some are much cheper than others but you do get what you pay for in this case. I agree talk with SBS they have some quality products.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default superdeck.

Superdeck is the best you will find for inside or out. They sell it at sbs. In Fairbanks talk to Adam Eddie. In Ancorage talk to Mark Hulay. You can wind up talking to a dummy at sbs if you dont know who to ask for.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I agree, we just picked up SuperDeck and it's a great product. By March 15th SBS won't be the only place to pick up SuperDeck products..you can also pick it up at Moores' Hardware and Building Supply in Talkeetna.. (shameless plug probably in violation of forum rules)

We've had great luck with Diamond Varathane water based products on interior pine.