Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 338WM SS Package?

Question Best 338WM SS Package?

Best package or another package worth the difference in cost?

I ‘ve read (this site mainly) and estimated prices (Able Ammo, Cabelas) for rifle/scope combo for Fall float trip, hoping for moose and caribou. I am new to hunting and looking to gear up with tools that will last.

Here are the combos I’m considering (below). Rifles would all be 338WM, stainless w/ synthetic stock. I’ve penciled in some scopes to estimate total package prices - to compare the good vs better vs best tradeoffs (if I spend more on the rifle, there’ll be less to buy the scope with).

Option A: seems to like a sound combo for value + quality. Hunters here seem to find the Ruger durable and accurate. It offers controlled feed, reliable extractor design, a reliable, steady performing rifle overall– with good resale value if needed.

Options B and C seem to offer advantages in aesthetics and engineering (smoother action) and maybe better resale value (not many available used). Friends and others I respect have chosen these rifles. I’m just not sure about the reasons to spend the extra money.

Would you pick “more gun” for “less scope”? I would appreciate your thoughts – if there are differences you think I might miss, especially in the field with “just” the Ruger and a very good scope? Thank you in advance.

Option A: Best package:
    Ruger M77 Hawkeye with a Leupold VX II, 3.5-10X50 (or similar), maybe $1000 total.

Option B:
    Kimber 8400 Montana with Leupold VX II, 3-9 X 40, approx $1400

Option C:
    Sako 85 SS with Leupold VX I, 3-9 X 40, $1600 neighborhood

I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in 338 WM and a VXIII 2.5 X 8 and love it (put a different recoil pad on it). They guarentee MOA at 100 yards. I liked it so much I bought my daughter the same gun in 25-06 (but blued) and a VXII 3 X 9. I'm sold on this gun. Looks nice and can't beat the price. I paid about $800 for mine.

A Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x is perfect for the .338WM, although some folks go down in power to 2-7x or less. Ruger rifles may not be the prettiest, but they are tough. I only have one big game rifle, and it's a Ruger M-77 MK-II in .338WM. The scope is the Leupold I mention above. I only paid $399.00 for the rifle years ago, and not very much for the scope. I did replace the stock with one that has a thick and soft recoil pad, and the trigger. The total cost was under $900.00 back then.

Just last summer I picked up a brand new Ruger Mk-II 338 for $375. I then found a very lightly used VX-II 3-9x on the forums for about $150. Total package cost me just over $550 including rings, but I had to look long and hard for such deals. I had other guns, so I was willing to be patient. Anyhow, three of my guns are Rugers and they have always done me well in the field.

Default What .338 and scope?

I think you may have overlooded some good options. The Savage 116 FCSS comes in stainless, with a composite stock, an accutrigger, and a detachable magazine, plus aluminum pillar bedding. In .338 it lists for around $648, usually less at the counter. It is well made and will probably outlast you by 50 years. Savages, particularly new ones, are known for their superior accuracy, and this model will probably equal, if not outshoot, the rifles you have listed in .338 caliber. You can scope it with a better scope than what you have listed for between $300 and $400 by shopping online for a Bushnell Elite 4200 model scope with the firefly reticle and the Rain Guard features. The Elite scopes were formerly labeled as Bausch and Lomb, and are rugged, top quality scopes, probably brighter and with better definition than the scopes you are considering.

The combinations you have listed are good epuipment, particularly the Kimber 8400 Montana, but the scopes will be overpriced, and the combination will not serve you better than the combination I listed above.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morgan View Post
    I think you may have overlooded some good options. The Savage 116 FCSS comes in stainless, with a composite stock, an accutrigger, and a detachable magazine, plus aluminum pillar bedding. In .338 it lists for around $648, usually less at the counter. It is well made and will probably outlast you by 50 years. Savages, particularly new ones, are known for their superior accuracy, and this model will probably equal, if not outshoot, the rifles you have listed in .338 caliber. You can scope it with a better scope than what you have listed for between $300 and $400 by shopping online for a Bushnell Elite 4200 model scope with the firefly reticle and the Rain Guard features. The Elite scopes were formerly labeled as Bausch and Lomb, and are rugged, top quality scopes, probably brighter and with better definition than the scopes you are considering.

The combinations you have listed are good epuipment, particularly the Kimber 8400 Montana, but the scopes will be overpriced, and the combination will not serve you better than the combination I listed above.
    Jack.
    Found your thread ( Bushnell 4200 Elite) in Optics. Good stuff- nothing like experience! -thank you.

Personally I think your option "A" is almost perfect. I would use a 2.5x8 over the 3.5x10.
    Tennessee

Default Best .338 ?

They are probably all good hunting rifles. I prefer the Mod. 70 Win. mainly because of the trigger and ease of field stripping the bolt. Scopes- well everyone has their favorite. Mine is a Leupold 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm with the Leupold 1.75 x 32 mm a close second. About a year ago I asked the posters on this forum what range their average shot was taken at. The response was about 150 yards. About any 2.5 power scope will do that with ease. I am not a fan of big scopes for the type of hunting I do. Nor do I need to launch a bullet at 3,000 fps. At least in the last 42 years I have not needed to. The .338 Win. Mag. in a good rifle with a good bullet is my idea of the all around Alaskan hunting gun. Any of the 3 choices you listed should work well.

Default What about a remington?

Don't overlook the remington 700 XCR. The trynyte coating is supposed to be pretty good. I like the 2.5-8x36 Leupy as well. Just my .02
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default Affordable Rifles...

I can't really see spending more than 600 on a rifle for the hunting type 338 your looking for. Savage, Ruger, Tikka, even Remington they will all do. Which ones do you like best when you hold them, not reading their stats or comparing their prices? I own both a Tikka and Ruger, but the Ruger is my 338 and I think it suits it just fine. Leupold makes quality stuff, but I'd like to try one of those fancy Bushnells too, I've heard good stuff about them.

Default ruger 338, muzzle brake and german scope for sale

am contemplating sale of my ruger mkII, has had some custom gunsmithing and muzzlebrake.

pm if want more details. have six or so new boxes of ammo to go with.

forty below

Default consider Browning

Browning makes a great A Bolt 338, stainless, and I saw one on Gun brokers.com for about $600.

Default Another vote for Savage

I have got a 116 weather warrior with the accutrigger, scoped with a 1.75 by 5 burris and it is a fantastic gun. I cut the barrel down, put sights on it and with quick release rings have created a great Alaskan bush gun. Since most moose hunts have shots that aren't that long, why have the monster scope...it just shows you how bad you've got the shakes Now, I'm not made of money, so this gun put me out in the field with a real decent round and a dependable and accurate rifle. I never intend to sell any of my guns so resale means bupkus to me and looks aren't all that important either...it's not a gun show, it's a hunting trip. That said, folks that collect, trade and etc with guns and have the expendable cash may dig the Tikkas, kimbers and all that stuff but I put it into simple proportions...if your gun costs twice as much as mine...does it shoot twice as well in the same hands? I think not, so unless you are made of cash or like showin off your iron...just get a decent practical gun and put the extra money into a nicer tent, set of boots, survival equipment,air fare, whatever...something that will pay proportional dividends better than dropping mad cash on a super expensive gun that you are going to soak, bang, drop, and muddy up...and that's if you are taking it easy on it

Just an opinion guys, I like lookin at other people's pretty guns, but mine are tools and as long as the business end works just fine...that's good enough for me.

Third vote for Savage.

Default vote

Browning A-Bolt just to put it out there, and I second the vote for Tikka T3

Talking +1 for Ruger

Give the Burris Optics a look. My ruger with burris 3X9X50 has taken a few serious licks, but keeps on tickin'.

PS - don't forget you get some of the best scope rings free with a ruger

Too much scope on all of your options. A 40mm objective bell is a lot of fragile junk hanging out in space. If you simply must have a variable scope, I'd go no larger than the leupold VXII 2x7, which is probably the best value in a hunting scope. Since this is going on a 338, I assume you are shooting critters with kill zones bigger than a baseball. That being the case, there is no reason to scope it with anything more than a fixed 4x, but that's just my opinion.

The Ruger combined with a 2.5-8x36 is a sweet package and for the money you'll be hard pressed to beat what the Ruger offers.

I'd recommend you handle all the rifles you're considering and see which one you like best. I have two 338 WMs. One, a browning stainless stalker and the other a Weatherby Vanguard SUBMOA both fitted with Leupold 3 X 9 Vari X IIs. I like em both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast