Thread: Teeny Nymph Variation

Default Teeny Nymph Variation

I love the Jim Teeny Nymph because it is easy and quick to tie with inexpensive materials and it catches fish - at least it does that in the lower 48.

I am wondering if a Teeny Nymph variation using man made materials in bright colors might not be a good fly for Alaska.

One way or another, I am going to tie up a bunch in bright color combinations and try them on the Kenai Peninsula this Summer. However, I wonder if this has been tried before.

Thumbs up

I've used the black and greens, but never bright colors. Maybe good idea.

kingfisherktn

I basically fish nothing but PT nymphs which is basically a teeny nymph with some peacock. They work well.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default flies...

It is pretty obvious after looking on his website that many of his flies are designed for Alaska fishing. Flash fly, egg sucking leech, sparkle, etc... Take a look for more info...

http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.ht...log/flies.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

First I'd like to say I have buddies who tied flies like the "teeny nymph" long before he coined the term. He just had the nerve to coin it

But that aside, I agree with powder monkey, try adding bead chain eyes, browns, blacks, and greens are good colors. I'd like to get some yellow and blue but haven't found blue pheasant. Everything will eat these flies. I'm sure orange would work as a shrimp looking pattern. I'd say the bright colored ones could be alot of other patterns too because often salmon are locked on a color more than anything specific about a fly.
    River Runnin

Default It's the only fly I know how to tie

I used mine for the first time last year. I caught 30 pinks in a row at Resurrection creek. I caught quite a few reds on red and pink on the Kenai

Been using teeny nymphs for about 12 years, always had good results, especially with sockeye and chum. I really enjoy hooking into sockeye and watching them tailwalk across the river.